Save me (part 2)

It had been a dreadful month.
Looking downwards, I felt my left side with my hands.

*Flashback*

"They're getting away!"

I heard one of the task force members yell from further away.
This couldn't happen. I had to stop those abominable criminals.

We had been working on this case for far too long to let anything slip through.

Just in time, I saw one of them approach me. What I also made out was them pulling something out of their pocket.

A knife? No... this looked like a long kind of dagger-

As they reached me, I started off by kicking them in the face. I had learned some martial arts years ago so that gave me a good base on defending myself.
Nonetheless, he got me.

"AAHHH!!!!"
I collapsed onto the floor as the criminal got away.
Clinging onto my side with my hands, I felt a stinging pain originating from there and the hot blood releasing from the long wound.

"I'm sorry... I couldn't help...", I said as I saw someone approach me with a blurring vision.
Then, everything went dark.

*back to present*

It had been so close back then. L had rescued me and dealt with my wounds himself- he had wrapped me up and taken care of me for several days. Everything else about that situation might have been unfortunate, but I certainly didn't regret the attention I got from L. I had been in love with him for way too long, yet he had never noticed...

Those thoughts started to go through my head again as I sat in front of my computer in the HQ, next to L who was slouching on his chair and working on the case as usual.

After a while, I started feeling really dizzy.
My eyelids even started falling... what was this? I was not tired at all, I just felt very weak out of a sudden... but I would have to continue working. I owed this to L.

"~", L suddenly said.

"Oh L! What is it?", I asked him weakly as I turned my face to my right to face him.

"I want you to stay calm now at all costs."

I frowned. Why was there any need to stay calm? I already was-
But I saw fright in L's eyes, and that scared me. What was going on?

"~... I need you to turn around completely."

I followed his orders by turning on the chair, seeing his face widen even more as his eyes gazed downwards.
As I followed them, my heart seemed to stop.

The wound had opened again.

My entire side was drained in blood.

"Oh... god, I...", I started panicking as I discovered it.
"L, I..."

L immediately ran to me and caught my body which was dropping of my chair. I could not hold myself anymore.

"L... please, save me..."

———————————————————————

Beep. Beep.

I woke up under a bright and uncomfortable light, hearing some faint sounds from next to me. As I slightly opened my eyes, I could see that I was laying in a hospital bed, with a certain man slouching in front of me.

"It is so good to see you after waking up", I remarked weakly.

"~!", L yelled.
He suddenly threw himself at me, hugging me in an odd way.
Very unusual for him...
I blushed in surprise but slowly started to run my hands over his back.
What a warm feeling to have him so close to my heart.

"This is all my making", he said as he let go to look me in the eyes again.
"If I hadn't taken care of your wounds back then, if I had brought you to the hospital immediately, this wouldn't have happened. I am irrational and behaved cowardly. I should have known my skills to treat wounds are those of an amateur."

"False. If you hadn't taken care of my wounds back then, I would be in a far worse state. I might have died", I assured him.
"L, you saved my life now, twice. I owe you my life now. You have done so much for me I honestly cannot ever thank you enough."
I gave him an reassuring smile.

L blushed.
"No... I simply make everything far more dangerous for you. This whole investigation is pure danger. Especially now, you should rest and leave it all to me."

My eyes widened in shock.
"You want me to... stop working with you?"
Tears started forming in my eyes.

"~, please do not understand this the wrong way. I just want to protect you, to keep you safe-", L tried to calm me.

"What about the others? They are ALL risking their lives! I can't just watch everything happen!"

"Will you be satisfied if I keep an eye on you instead? During the investigation?"

"How do you mean?"

"To assure your safety, that is the only measure I would be willing to take. But you would have to stay with me 24/7."

Silence.
L and I awkwardly stared at each other for a while during which I could hear the beeps getting quicker.

"I wouldn't mind."