By the windows

The strong scent of printed books. It smells so comforting.

I went around in Tokyo's largest library to study with some books they provided regarding my studies.
The library was so giant but its peaceful atmosphere was unmeasurable - the silence would definitely help me concentrate at studying later on.
Having visited it several times before, I already knew where the section I needed books from was. I tilted my head to ease reading the titles on them and found the books I needed after a short while.

Packed with books, I made my way to a nearby desk at a window.
After a few hours of learning, I could perceive a person sit down before the desk next to mine out of the corner of my eye. But there was something strange.
As I turned to look at them, I discovered a young man sitting on his chair in a very odd way. Instead of sitting like any normal person, he had pulled his legs onto the chair and close to his chest, wrapping his arms around them. I couldn't help but smile at the sight- he looked like a frog!
Suddenly, the man noticed I was staring at him and retorted the stare with dark, widened eyes.
I blushed.

Hectically turning towards my books again, I could not stop thinking about it.
There was something that drew me to this man- was it his atypicality? The eyebags beneath his eyes that made me question their origin? The man could be recognised among hundreds, his appearance already distinguished him significantly from the colourless public.

No, I thought. I better keep studying...

———————-

And so, it continued. Every few weeks, the special man would be researching something at the library, always picking out that specific table by the window.
Even though I tried to avoid looking at him, I could not help but do so occasionally, even when it was only subconscious.

By time, I found myself trying to deduce him. Interestingly, the young man was almost always deepened into his research, but if it was raining outside, he would sit there with his hands placed on his knees peacefully, staring out of the window. Was he drawn to the rain? Or had he experienced something that it reminded him of?

————————

Time passed and by a few months, I was nearly finished with my studies and would not have time to spend at the library anymore.
Sadness filled my heart when I thought about it- the smell of books, the beautiful windows, the calming atmosphere of the library... and that specific man would definitely make me miss it very much. Despite never having talked to him directly, there had been something severely calming about his presence to me. For some reason, I felt so strangely comfortable around him.
Prospectively, I would not see him again.

As if the man was sensing that, he turned to me on the last day, giving me a smile that looked as if he had rarely done so before in his life. Even though it was a sweet gesture, it also made me really sad.

I left the library with a heavy heart that day, tears quietly falling down my face.

————————————

I had been an idiot.

As thoughts were still flying around my head, I visited the library again the next day - I had forgotten one of my books.

When I arrived at the table I had usually studied at, it was not there anymore.

Great. Either someone has taken it or someone has put it to the place where the same editions are contained.

Following that thought, I wandered through the wooden halls, searching for said place.

Bingo!
Fortunately, someone had returned it to the place of the others, of the editions owned by the library - only a sticker distinguised the others from mine.

As I pulled it out of the shelf, I noticed a piece of paper falling down.

"Huh?"

Bending down, I picked it up and discovered some writing on it - the scrap was folded and written like a letter.

'Critics of criminal justice-
a very good version. I am certain you will be a great lawyer.'

What in the-?

'You will ask yourself who I am and why I am writing - or rather, wrote - this to you.
First of all, even though I cannot reveal my identity to you, you know me. Even though you were sitting just a small distance from me, I never had the social skills to interact with you, even though I had really wanted to.
Seeing you sit deepened into books to study justice was something I had never really seen that way before, I do not have more words to explain.

When you read this, I am long going to be out of the country. Even though I cannot reveal my profession to you, I need to elaborate that I was searching for something significant during the past months and have finally seemed to resolved it.

I am writing this hopelessly to say that, if you ever wish to see me again, you can find me in this very place one year from now, I will be working on another case.
I would like to talk to you, but if this sounds odd, I understand and would never compel you to meet me.

In any instance, I wish you all the best in the future.

L'

'L'? Like the detective?
He's perhaps just using a pseudonym for the first letter of his name, I thought as mixed feelings started to confuse me.

Was it really him? Or had someone watched us and made a joke out of this?
There was only one way to find out...

————————————

1 year later

Sigh. My heartbeat was still racing irrationally as I stood in the cold corridor of the library.

Of course this must have been a prank. Someone must have set this up, as if someone liked me enough to return in one year even though he apparently had very important things to do!

Steps behind me awakened me from my deliberations.
As I turned around, a shy man with an arched back stretched out his arm towards me, holding out a lollipop uncertainly.

I smiled.
He actually came.
"Thank... thank you..."

"No, thank you. I never believed you would actually come...", the man said as he scratched his head nervously.

"That is not completely true. You wouldn't be here if you hadn't seen a small chance at least!"

"Hm...", the man placed a finger on his lips. "Completely correct. Just as I thought."

"Just as what?", I crossed my arms behind my back as I looked up at him.

"As quick as I thought. You are very interesting."

I blushed. "You are the first person to say this about me!"

"Then I'm the first with reason!", the man now exclaimed sassily.
Suddenly, an excited smile started shaping his face beautifully.
"Will you get some cake with me?"

————————————————————————

A/N: I really hope you liked this one!🖤 This is based on several hcs I have about L, especially also the fact that he would likely immediately analyse his s/o, it'd be very sweet!
I'm in a little stress, also regarding time at the moment therefore I didn't have much time to update a lot so far but, I'll try to finish the majority of my drafts soon xx