Hide (prince (?) AU)

~L's POV~

Now that I had bought some cake again, I could continue to hide myself from the world for the next few days while solving murders.

But as I was heading home, something was off. While silence was surrounding me, I could sense someone approach and grab me.

Before I could defend myself, the cloaked person pulled me into one of the sidewalks. Hastingly, I turned their arm behind their back and held them tightly to prevent them from whatever they had intended of doing.

A quiet sound escaped their lips.

What is that voice? It sounds so familiar-

My eyes widened when I realised.

"Lawliét, please..."

Immediately letting go of her, I rushed to catch her when she was falling forwards.

Even though the unveiling of her cloak revealed a smile, I noticed her shivering when she took it off.

Calmly, she nestled to my chest.

"You are still in shock, I apologise."

A giggle escaped the woman. "I just wanted to surprise you! I should have calculated to do so more carefully before. What martial arts do you know, Lawliét?"

"Well, just karate and capoeira..."

"You should teach me some day!", she lifted her face to look at me, smiling again.
"But now, we should go inside before anyone sees us!"

———————————————————————

~Reader's POV~

"Lawliét, I am doing fine, you do not have to carry me...", I muttered as he carried me into his house bridal style.

"I attacked you."

"Wrong! You defended yourself!", I said as I tried to boop his pointy nose, miserably failing because my body was still shivering.

"See? You are still in shock."

"Hmpf."

As we entered Lawliét's living, or rather - investigation room, he gently let me down on his armchair before making some tea and sitting down as well. When I say sit down, I mean the way a frog would sit down...

"What brings me the luck today for the princess to search for me?" Lawliét's face had lit up completely as he looked into my eyes.

I could feel my heart warm up. "Two things! For one, I have done some research on the ice murders and found the identity of the murderer, you know, the one that got rid of nearly all records."

Lawliét's eyes began to sparkle as I handed him the files. "You found him..."

"Oh no! I just found his identity, it was you who did!", I smiled.
"And secondly", Lawliét gave me his attention again.

"I made something for you!"

Rummaging around in my bag, I unveiled a box and opened it, revealing a set of self-made chocolates inside.
The sparkling in Lawliét's eyes had become even more perceptible as his eyes slided from the chocolates to me.

"You made them for me...?"

I nodded with a smile. For an eternity, Lawliét simply stared at me in utter disbelief.

~L's POV~

I am going to marry this woman, I thought.

"I take that as in 'I like them'!", she interpreted my surprised reaction.

"Yes..."

A sigh escaped her lips as she leaned back in my arm chair.
"I am so glad to be with you again... it is hell to be in the castle right now."

I gave her a questioning look.

"Lawliét ", she warned while sitting up straight. "They are making preparations because they finally want me to get married to one of the princes." Her voice was sounding noticeably sad.
"That is all wrong. I do not want to marry a prince! I don't want to live my life in a castle just to have children and secure the line of succession. I want to travel, I want to learn and discover the world, I want to solve mysteries, and I want to do all of that with you!"

My face froze.

Do all of that with you? Did she mean it in a romantic way?
I had no experience with women. The circumstance that the princess and I had met had been a complete, but lucky coincidence when she had sneaked out of the castle one day.
Romantic feelings? That could not be... I was not a prince. All I did was solve mysteries in hidden. In contrast to normal people, I was often apathic and seemed emotionless to most people. While people loved communication, I preferred to stay in my darkened rooms while solving murders. I was a no one to everyone else, the people only knew me under what they assumed to be a pseudonym. How could she fall for such a person?

Insecurely, I scratched my head.
"With me?"

"Of course! I really dislike all those obligations, Lawliét. I wish I wasn't born a princess so I could have a normal life..."

"Hm", I remarked, "strangely enough, I always thought the complete opposite. When I met you, I wished to be a prince."

"A prince?"

"Yes", I lowered my head as I blushed. „So I could have a chance with you."

———————————————————————
A/N: A really different oneshot this time! Very cliché but... I had to. To be honest I would choose L over a prince any day😭 I have a whole story of this in my head ahh but I just tried to extract one of the scenes. x