Sleepover

"But we'll play Mario Kart first, okay?"

"Hershel wanted to play Truth or Dare!"

"But we can keep that for after, right?"

The Wammy children were already discussing in the evening. L and I had promised them that after solving our case, we would have one of our rare sleepovers at the place.
Back when L and I were raised at the orphanage, we had spent most of the evenings like that. Now with the third, fourth and fifth generation of Wammy children, it was so much louder and also chaotic but still fun to hold such sleep over nights with them.
Usually, the weeks would go like this: from Monday to Friday, the children would be taught by Roger and university professors from morning to afternoon. The Saturday and Sunday would be a usual weekend, so we decided to place the sleepover on the Saturday.

This is going to be so much fun.

Typical of him, Mello had taken care of sweets, mainly chocolate together with L, Near had taken all toys he owned to Matt and Mello's room, which would be the room we would spent the evening in- and Matt had built up a television with a N64 so we could play Mario Kart together.
L had been unusually calm that day- he would have a conversation about Near and Mello with Roger and Watari. The boys had been causing a lot of trouble lately- especially since they didn't get along very well. Mello saw Near as his personal rival, wanting to become L's first successor.
That's why I spent the beginning of the sleepover with the children alone.

"MATT!! Throw a blue shell at me one more time, I dare you!!", Mello yelled.

"I can't help it that I'm better than you", Matt retorted sassily while throwing a red shell at me as he passed by.

"First again!"

The younger children looked up at Matt and Mello as Nintendo soundtrack rumbled in the background.
"...so cool!", I could hear a younger girl whisper.
I facepalmed.

Wammy children.

"You know, it's time now", a little boy reminded Matt.
"We wanted to play it."

"Alright then! Let us sit in a circle or something- this is going to be fun!"

One of the fifth generation kids had asked Matt to play Truth or Dare. The boy's name was Hershel- his assigned initial H, since he was the most gifted of his generation- a code for his real name, Harry.
The others started getting excited as well now.

"Who starts?", I asked the children smilingly.

"I wanted L to start but he's still downstairs!", Mello complained disappointedly.

"So...", he tapped at Matt's shoulder. Matt rolled his eyes annoyedly and said "fine".

"Then Mello, Truth or Dare?"

"Dare!"

"Give me your chocolate!"

"I hate you."

Everyone giggled.
"Alright, my turn. Let's see, Hershel! Truth or Dare?"

"Truth!"

"Who do you like the most of us here?"

"Uh...", Hershel hesitated.
"L and ~."
I smiled in surprise. So cute!

"Can't keep up with them, I guess. Your turn, Hershel!"

"Oh, alright. ~... Truth or Dare?"

"Truth!"

"Are you... in love?"
I gasped.

"Hershel, why are you asking about love? Is there a girl in Wammy's that you have a crush on? Is it Linda??", Matt asked curiously.

Hershel nodded. "Don't tell her."