Infinite times

-Light's POV-

"Come on, Ryuzaki, lighten up a little!"

L gave me an annoyed look as someone turned the music up in the background.

I had succeeded in convincing him to come to a party at university. Both of us were already known due to the entrance exams and the tennis match people observed, but I figured it would be best to appear here and then not to draw much suspicion from people. We merely had to appear as ordinary students and not as people who secretly investigated on the Kira case- especially not Ryuzaki, being the world's greatest detective.

I was chatting with Kyomi as she told me to turn around, noticing a fairly uncomfortable looking Ryuzaki a few feet away.

Beside him stood a short woman attempting to flirt at him. Notwithstanding her very different style, she reminded me a lot of Misa, with her blonde hair tied up in two tails.

"I didn't expect to bag up such a cutie tonight!", the girl said confidently as she winked at him.

"'Bag up'? What do you mean exactly?"

"Oh you know!", she winked again.

"You are certainly confident. But you will have to search for someone else, I am not interested", L replied monotonously as he started to turn away.

"What?? I am so hot! What is wrong with you?!"

This was finally getting enough for L but I still couldn't believe my eyes when I experienced what happened next.

L stared her dead in the eyes when he said
"my girlfriend is infinite times hotter than you."

I mentally gasped in surprise at first but then shut my eyes not wanting to see her reaction.

Surprisingly, I heard her laugh in a put-on way, leading me to reopen them and look up at the two.

"You are pretty funny."

"That wasn't a joke", L responded dead serious, clearly having enough of her attempts.

"If you'd like to excuse me, there is someone I just realised I needed to see tonight."
L quickly looked around before finding me in the crowd and approaching me.

"I want to leave", he said as he lowered his head uncomfortably.

"What I have been thinking. Do you want us to return to the headquarters?"

"Yes. I knew this was going to be a bad idea."

————————————————————————

"You're back! Aizawa just made some coffee, do you both want some- what's wrong?", I heard ~ ask as her enthusiastic expression faded when she saw L heading for the staircase.

I approached her as her eyes were still following the movements of her angry boyfriend.

"What's up with him?"

"A girl tried to hook up with him."

Clash.
She had nearly thrown her cup of coffee down as she strongly put it back on the table.
Realising how agitated and uncontrolled she appeared, her mood toned down a little.
"I... I see." She looked at me with widened eyes, trying to signal me to continue.

"He rejected her so much from the start I nearly felt sorry for her."

"Light! You shouldn't feel sorry for a person that is trying to get with someone who has a girlfriend!", she protested half smilingly as she gently poked my arm and made her way to collect the files on the desk.

"Do you know what Ryuzaki said about you?"

Her face flushed in a soft pink as she turned around to look at me.
"What did he say...?"

"That you were 'infinite times hotter' than her."

I observed an even stronger wave of redness colouring her face before she hid it in both of her hands embarrassedly.
"I hope she didn't take it too badly."

————————————————————————

-Reader's POV-

L... what are you doing, sweetheart. It's not your fault you're getting in situations like these, you are very sweet and special, but... I hope the girl didn't take it too personally... though I know you might have just wanted to defend me and for that I love you so much.

I calmly opened the door to L's room, discovering him slouching on his chair as he gazed out of the windows.

"L..."

As I walked around him, he still did not reply but his face revealed an upset expression.

I giggled. "Why are you still mad about what happened?"

L attempted to remain angry, but the tension in his face mostly disappeared as he saw me smile.

"I don't like people like that. Who try to flirt at someone who clearly does not want it. I cannot even imagine what women have to go through every day. It upsets me quite much."

I gently placed a hand on his shoulder.
While I had believed his anger to be towards what had happened, L had immediately reflected the situation on the counterparts and the way women- and thus also I- are treated.

"You thought about me?"

"Yes. Some men are often even worse in that regard. They often do not understand 'no'."

"You're right. But you will be able to calm down now, we're in each other's presence again after all. And neither of us is like that", I hummed as I placed a quick kiss on his cheek, leaving him running his fingers over said spot as he blushed.

"Light also described what you told that girl", I began, trying not to grin.
"L... you think I'm hot?"

"Of course I do. Just because I've never verbally expressed this doesn't mean I don't. In fact, I still can't comprehend how I could win you for myself. I'm not very attractive."

"YES YOU ARE! You are the most attractive person I have ever laid eyes on! You also know that there is so much to a person, L...
through you, I have realised how beautiful the mind of a person can really be! Especially when it is interwoven in such a complex matter as yours- to create the adorable and sweet mannerisms you have and put to light", I said as I laid my hand into his.
"All of that makes you the most beautiful person. And if that wasn't already a blessing, you also decide to be so cute as well... you look like a cuddly human panda..."

L lowered his head as he blushed in denial.
"I'm not cute!"

"Yes you are!! You're the cutest person in the world, you're even cute now that you're denying that!", I giggled as I embraced him warmly.

As I let go off L, I discovered that his anger had finally left, his face was now adorned with a somewhat jokingly accusing smile as he lowly continued.
"Thank you for stealing my heart."