21

"Thanks for taking your time and coming over to visit me, Marinette," Adrien smiled at the bluenette.

"Sure, no problem," Marinette shrugged. "Why wouldn't I visit you anyway. You are my best friend."

Adrien frowned. "I am?" Marinette nodded, which got him to look away.

I guess everything that happened at the Valentine's Day party wasn't real. She was probably just pretending. I did see her mother there at the party. What? Was she trying to show her mom that we were really dating when we were actually fake dating?

Adrien sighed.

"Is everything okay?" Marinette looked at him with worried eyes.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I guess. Just not feeling well, you know." Adrien shrugged. It was a good thing he was sick, so he could use that as an excuse.

"Okay? Would you like any thing? Like maybe a glass of water?" Marinette offered, but Adrien just shook his head.

"Just stay here, and I'll feel better," He spoke, watching as Marinette sat down next to him. "So what happened in school today?"

Marinette flinched at the question. "Do I have to tell you?"

"Yeah, you do," Adrien frowned. Was there something she didn't want to tell him?

"Well, just the usual. We learnt stuff from teachers. Got some mean looks from Lila," Marinette stopped for a second, as if deciding whether to say something or not. "But I went home early because I wasn't feeling fine."

"Ah, are you okay? Why would you come here if you were sick as well?" Adrien asked.

"Don't worry, I'm fine. I just want to get away from home and school for a while," Marinette sighed.

"Is there something you're not telling me?" Adrien frowned at her, but she shook her head, replying with a "nothing at all."

Adrien turned away.

Of course I would come and visit you. After all, you are my best friend.

"Marinette... "

"Yes?"

"Am I just a best friend to you?"

Marinette frowned. "Why do you ask? I mean, we are fake dating, right? So my mom can forget all about Nathaniel. Are you trying to tell me, you want to give up, or...?"

"Marinette, it's not that!" Adrien still wasn't looking her way. "Besides, why would I suddenly want to give up? I'd date you, whether fake or not, I'd still take the chance. I just though that maybe... "

That maybe you were actually starting to like me in that way...

"Are you upset about something I did... Or say?" Marinette asked.

"No, no, no," Adrien quickly exclaimed. "I was just asking a random question. You don't have to answer."

"Why? Did you want me to treat you more than a best friend?"

Adrien's eyes went wide. Has she finally caught on?

"Well, I mean... "

"Adrien, you're just a friend, and will always be my friend. Please, can we not talk about this again?!" Marinette hugged and turned to the door.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you... " Adrien spoke softly. Even though he was expecting Marinette to deny it, it still hurt.

Marinette sighed and headed to the door. She opened it and Chloe fell in.

"Chloe, what are you doing?!" She frowned as Chloe stood up. Adrien also sat up on his bed to see what was going on.

"You guys..." Chloe pointed at the two of them. "You guys are only fake dating!"

"Ah, you weren't supposed to know. Chloe, why were you listening?!" Marinette folded her arms. There was no doubt she was worried. Besides, this was Chloe. Now that she had found out the secret, she was probably going to use it against them.

"I'm just really surprised. All these times, you guys have only been fake dating?!" Chloe huffed and turned away. "And why? To get your mother to think that you've moved on from Nathaniel?!"

"No!  It's so my mom can't get me to be with Nathaniel. I don't want to be with that guy!"

"Marinette, you totally like my brother!" Chloe giggled as she stepped outside of the room, Marinette following as she closed the door behind her.

"I don't! What makes you think that?" Marinette frowned, waiting for Chloe to give her an explanation.

"I know you may not like Nathaniel, but... You like my brother because you chose him over Nathaniel!"

"Chloe, you make no sense!"

"Yes, I do!" Chloe urged. "You don't like Nathaniel, but I know you don't like Adrien in that way either, but still you picked him over Nathaniel. Which means that you do like Adrien!

"No, I don't!"

"Stop denying it!" Chloe yelled as Marinette rushed down stairs. "You know it's true! Don't deny it, Marinette!"

But Marinette had already left, as what was heard next was the front door banging shut!

- Edited -