(Ch.6) World Unto World

Graynin hated being in this place, all it did was fuel his anger. It was brave of Athos to pick this particular location to meet, he understood what this place invoked in him. However, knowing that made Graynin realize how worried Athos really was, he would never pick this extremely sensitive, private location otherwise.

Graynin paced back and forth just within the mouth of the cave, he could still hear the muffled babbling of the stream that ran just outside. A light breeze made its way through the dense aspen forest, some stray gusts finding their way into the cave, carrying the scent of the early blooming jasmine. The whole experience was almost too much for him to bear. He gritted his teeth, trying to resist the urge to call on the earth and bring the whole cave crashing down on itself, forcing it to rejoin the ground that it had abandoned so long ago. The thought crossed his mind that he could become part of the earth as well in the processes. He shook his head, chasing the morbid thought away.

He stopped pacing, something was approaching. He pulled his Tekana dagger from its leather sheath on his hip and took a position in the shadows, the luminous full moon bringing too much light to a midnight meeting. He heard the two beat gate become louder as the approacher shuffled through the forest floor debris. He waited. As the man entered the mouth of the cave Graynin relaxed his poised muscles and stood up straight.

The moonlight revealed what once had been a handsome face, but now held the marks of a burdensome life. His short hair was peppered with grey, as well as his well-trimmed beard. It was Athos Stegma.

Athos entered the cave only enough so that he was hidden within it, but stopped short of approaching the depth Graynin resided in. He simply stood calmly looking at the shadows that concealed Graynin.

"Good evening Graynin." He spoke in his calm, knowing tone.

"Athos" Graynin responded blandly. Still not moving from the comfort of the shadows.

Athos might be able to sense where Graynin was standing from his calm heartbeat, but there was no way he could react quickly enough to prevent Graynin from ending his life with a simple flick of his wrist to release his dagger. The shadows just added to his advantage. Graynin found this concept comforting, he never liked being in a situation where he didn't have the upper hand.

Athos stood silent, waiting for Graynin to start the conversation he had been hounding him for. When it became clear that Graynin was not going to do that, Athos sighed and began.

"I'm sorry it has taken me so long to meet with you Graynin. I hope you believe me when I say that it was not out of neglect for Chauncer, but out of fear for you."

"It is an odd thing when a Healer fears for the safety of a Souladeux." Graynin's grey-blue eyes piercing, even through the shadows.

Athos, seeming to ignore the threat in Graynin's condescending remark, chose to take him responding at all as a good sign to continue. "It is time that you know the truth about everything Graynin. You have been nursing your wounds for long enough. It is time for you to reclaim yourself." The old man calmly slid his hands into the corresponding loose sleeves of his grey tunic, the specially adorned silk cuffs catching the moonlight as he settled.

"Is that so Athos? Do tell me what I have been missing, while licking my wounds like a sad puppy as you suggest."

Once again Athos ignored Graynin's antagonizing words. "The evil is rising again and is being drawn to the power that grows stronger by the day within her healing soul."

Graynin couldn't contain himself, he cut Athos off. "What are you saying old man? Don't you dare toy with me, it will be a game you shall not walk away from. Speak directly or I will not allow you to leave with all your appendages intact." He felt himself rising to the edge of his control, the elements humming with his power.