(Ch.39) Crumbling Walls

Graynin wasn't moving. Panic began to course through Ryder, but still she dare not move from the protective enclosure of his arms. She calmed herself so that she could seek the subtle signs of life that were getting washed away by her adrenaline intoxicated body. There it was, his heart beat, she could finally make it out by holding her breath. Surprisingly it was calm and steady, not pounding out of his chest the way hers was. Her body sagged with relief, he was alive.

She knew she should run for help or do something to get them away from this place. But she couldn't. She just lay there, feeling her dry dress and dry hair quickly become soaked by the rain and mud again.

She wasn't sure how much time had passed, it could have been seconds or hours, until Graynin finally moved. He let out a deep groan. She turned her face up to his, pulling it away from where it had been buried in his bare chest, his once perfectly tailored shirt was now shredded to ribbons. Her neck shot streams of pain with the effort of looking up at him, but she didn't care.

"Don't move too fast." She directed gently. But it was no use, as soon as his brain registered her voice he was in an upright position. His left hand reaching over his shoulder to where his sword usually rested, his right hand protectively rigid across her body.

His eyes whipped around, trying to make sense of where he was. His darting eyes found the rubble that was now the remains of the house. The aggression and confusion lifted as recognition took root.

Ryder cautiously wrapped her fingers around his bare forearm, his shirt sleeve had been ripped off at some point during this nightmare of a night. She was afraid that any movement more dramatic might spook him. He was like a wild animal, and even if an animal trusted a person, they still might bite them if taken by surprise.

Her heartbeat stuck in her throat as his cold, grey blue eyes shot to her with the contact of her fingers to his flesh. His left hand was around her upper wrist with his thumb planted in her pressure point, just as fast as his calculating eyes. Ready to rip her hand from his arm if she proved to be a threat.

Despite her terror she knew to stay perfectly still, wrenching her hand away would only cause his instincts to spike.

As he took in her face his eyes softened. She had never seen him like this, his expression turned so gentle. His striking features, which usually made him that much more intimidating, now accentuated the depth of his relief.

His left hand softened from her pressure point and slowly came up to caress the side of her cheek. She instantly relaxed at his touch, it was so warm and comforting. Somehow it chased away the chill that had resettled in her body.

"You're okay." His tone was so gentle that she wasn't sure if it was a statement or a question.

She simply gave a small tight smile in response. A lone tear escaped and rolled down her cheek. Graynin reached for it and wiped it away.

"You're safe." He said softly, his brow creasing as a pained smile formed on his split lips. This she could tell was a statement, a declaration, a promise.

Ryder felt all her emotions get caught in her throat. She was on the verge of breaking down. She held her breath trying desperately to keep her feelings in check. "I-" Her voice broke.

"Shhh." He said, gently stroking her wet hair back off her forehead. "No need to talk about anything now. Let's get back to the house and warm up. Then we can talk."

All Ryder could do was nod her agreement. Any words would be too much at that moment, it would be the opening her emotions needed to get loose and run rampant.