(Ch.7) Spurned and Blood

Ryder threw her backpack and pink sports bag, in their usual corner next to the front door. She could smell the lingering aroma of dinner, their family's Bolognese sauce's scent still filling the house.

She made her way to the living room, hearing the crackle of the fire before she rounded the corner. Both her parents smiled up at her from over their books, as she took a seat by the fire.

"How was studying with Tairin? Did you get enough to eat? We have leftover pasta if you're hungry." Her mother suggested.

"No I'm fine, thanks mom. The studying went well." She could hear the disappointment in her own voice. Neither of her parent registered her tone and went eagerly back to their books.

Ryder's mom, Nancy, was nothing like some of Mikaila's friend's ridiculous moms that tried to compete with their daughters. Her mother was intelligent but quiet. Her soft blue eyes, blonde hair, and petite frame, looked nothing like Ryder. She was a reserved woman who had enjoyed trading her busy L.A. lifestyle for a quiet country one when she met Ryder's father Anthony, during his residency. It pained Ryder that her mother couldn't have more children, if anyone deserved them it was her, but nature had thought otherwise, and barley granted her Ryder.

Ryder's father Anthony, was a doctor and looked the part. Wearing wire rimmed glasses that complimented his salt-and-pepper goatee. He now had the stature of a man who spent most of his time helping others, forgetting to make time to take care of himself. His time as an elite martial artist almost like another life.

Ryder followed her parent's example and looked to reading the fire, its blue and orange flames so beautiful. The heat quickly became too intense and she had to turn away, but the mild burning sensation was a welcomed distraction from the heartache that was growing inside of her.

She couldn't believe how bad things had gone while hanging out at Tairin's house. How could she be so stupid? How could she have thought he was into her like that? The memory of his weight pressed against her back as he corrected her hand placement on the pool stick, brought a different kind of heat to her face.

He had spoken critiques in her ear, but she hadn't been able to absorb them, too distracted by how his breath tickled her ear. And when she had absently sunk the purple four ball into the corner pocket and turned to look into his prideful face, she could only hear her heart beating, heavy, and urgent. She could have sworn it was loud enough for him to hear as well, that he would be able to tell what she was feeling.

But he hadn't. She had had to fight the overwhelming urge to grab him by the collar and kiss him hard. He had simply stood there, smiling at her like a friend. How could she be this bad at being a teenager? Her first real moment of desire was met with an, 'at a boy' form of praise.

Ryder clenched her eyes shut, trying to force away the memory.

Once the sting in her eyes had subsided she opened them again, focusing back on the fire. She loved to watch it, how the flames wrapped around the wood. The way the wood changed from the smooth grey-brown almond branches into jagged crystal embers. She didn't see the fire as destroying the wood, but as two elements, wood and air, coming together to give life to the fire, and birth to a new form of life for the wood. She thought it was a beautiful dance of existence.

Soon she realized someone was missing from the family gathering, Toby. "Have you guys seen Toby?" She asked standing to look around.

A twinge of panic ignited a small burn in her chest as she looked to her parents questioning faces, both forgoing their books.