(Ch.34) Foxwood

They had been riding hard for three days, Graynin barely allowing them to sleep. He could feel the heat of their pursuers pressing against them. He didn't understand what they were doing, he didn't understand why they weren't attacking.

Pierce came cantering up to the front, his blue roan stallion lathered in sweat, the horse breathing hard as he pulled up next to Chast, Graynin's black Frisian who was setting the fast pace. Graynin was holding both the people, and the horses on the edge of exhaustion.

"Are we going to stop in Foxwood or not?" Pierce's tone suggested that this was more of a plea than a question.

"I still haven't decided." Graynin answered absently, his eyes scanning all around, his attention elsewhere.

"Well the fork is coming up in about a mile. I suggest you decide before then."

"I will." Once again Graynin's answer came absently, not even catching Pierce's attitude.

"Seriously Graynin, the group needs to rest, the horses are going to come up lame soon, and then all your pushing will be for nothing. We need to stop in Foxwood."

Graynin let out an annoyed growl.

"You know I'm right. It makes tactical sense as well; our tail will have great difficulty following us in a city that large. With the distance they're keeping we'll lose them before they even enter the border."

"Fine." Graynin conceded, "But what about Lane and Siena, don't you think it's a risk bringing Ryder to their house? Don't you worry that they'll recognize her?"

"Lane and Siena hardly even knew Aurora, you two didn't exactly have time to be social with the war going on. All the Souladeux mates were busy with their own forces to really pay attention to other couples. I think that as long as you don't stand close to her, and you don't pay her too much attention, they won't make the connection." A smug smile pulled at Pierce's lips. "And if you really want to throw them off the trail you could always say you're back with Jade." His eyes twinkled with mischief.

Graynin shot him a look of annoyance. "Right, like that will play out well." He couldn't help but laugh at the thought.

"Suit yourself." Pierce said in a serious tone, the smile still on his face. "But if you're so concerned about blowing our cover, then maybe you should consider it."

"You're an ass, you know that, right?"

Pierce didn't answer he just shot Graynin one of his dazzling smiles.

"Go. Let everyone know that we're stopping."

"Should I warn Jade of the role she is to play? Maybe I should ask Siena to make sure my room isn't next to yours. I don't want to be kept up by the ruckus you two will be making through the night."

Graynin laughed outright, "yeah, the sounds of her trying to stab me for even suggesting such a ruse."

Pierce laughed.

As the group road into Foxwood, their mentality instantly relaxed. Even Graynin felt some relief. It didn't hurt that Lane and Siena Stone would be a good extra set of weapons if their pursuers did attack while they were there.

Graynin led the group aimlessly around the large, dense, city of Foxwood, simply falling into the flow of the busy streets. They ended their wandering in front of a high wall of ivy. Lane and Siena's house was on the edge of the city, far from where their group had entered.