(Ch.37) Secret of the Grounds

Don't lose your confidence now, you can do this. Ryder thought encouragingly to her cowardly self.

She held up a champagne flute, her cowardice winning, the champagne now a buffer. He silently took it, his eyes never leaving hers.

The massive yard was quiet and dark. Only being lit by a three-quarter moon, which was fighting to shine through thick rain clouds moving in. There were a few light posts scattered about the groomed rolling hills of the yard, but they were very soft, more there for ambiance than for lighting.

They were genuinely alone, all the cards were on the table, and that scared her more than her wild powers ever had.

Tairin touched the bare part of her back with his fingertips, then to her surprise he pressed his whole hand against her back. "You're freezing." He exclaimed, "we should go back inside."

"No way. It's so peaceful out here. I can actually hear myself think." She pleaded, but maybe, 'thinking' was a bad idea, it had already interfered.

"Ok, but I'm going to go get you a shawl. I saw an attendant handing them out."

"I'll come with you." She said smiling up at him. Now regretting her panic, because the idea of him leaving did not feel too good either.

"No, I think it's best you stay out here. Unless you want some of our ever-vigilant chaperones to join us."

"Well I can go get it then." She said starting to walk towards the door. He gently grabbed her arm, pulling her to a stop and gave her a quick kiss. She melted.

"Once again, I think I should be the one to go in, you catch too many eyes. I on the other hand am an afterthought."

"Please." She huffed. "If any of those girls who've been gawking at you all night, see you walking outside alone, we'll have like thirty starry-eyed girls out here." The validity of her own point made her jealousy flare .

"Trust me, I'm much less likely to be noticed. Everyone can't help but notice you in that dress." He held her arms out, so he could see all of her, and gave her a very thorough look up and down. She laughed embarrassed, pulled her arms free, and pushed him playfully. "Alright fine, you go get me a shawl. Make sure it's a big one though."

He looked at her slightly confused.

"It might need to double as a blanket."

His eyes lit up at that. He pulled her in for another kiss, the heat of his body warming hers, but she reluctantly pushed him away before she lost all of her sense. "Go get the shawl." She laughed, pointing at the door.

He gave her one last grin and turned. She watched him disappear through the door.

She turned back towards the expansive backyard, leaning against the wide stone banister, and relaxed. She wanted to just be for a moment. She felt so alive.

Maybe a quick walk would calm me down, she thought. She looked back at the door, there was no sign of Tairin. She had a feeling it might take him a while to track down the attendant, this was not the only outside area. Plus, he might be spotted by someone in their group and have to talk to them for a while before he could sneak away. With that reasoning, and the intensifying need to be out on the land, she moved towards the stairs.

She stepped onto the low-cut grass, the whole yard looked as if it were an elite golf course. Her high heels sank into the soft earth, so she unstrapped each leather shoe in turn, and let it drop to the grass. The soft blades of grass tickled between her toes. She walked briskly along the well-manicured paths, not sure where she was heading, just allowing her instincts to guide her.