(Ch.28) Clad in Black

Graynin walked over to the bookshelf to retrieve his wedged dagger. The sharp Tekana blade was deeply stuck in the well-oiled mahogany beam, dead center of a small carved flower. His chest was heaving with his anger. He flexed his hands in and out of fists, trying to expend some of his wild energy.

Athos, on the other hand, sat quietly next to the fire in one of his overstuffed armchairs. Casually sipping his tea, as if unaware of the raging Souladeux throwing knives close to his head.

"May I continue telling you the plan, or are you still lost in your incoherent animal state?" Athos asked with mockery.

Graynin gritted his teeth as he pulled his blade quick and smooth from its deep home in the wood. He sheathed the dagger in his belt, and forced away the nearly blinding rage. He stuffed it back into its cage, he knew he had to collect himself.

Once in control, he turned to Athos and stared down at the nonchalant old man. Despite the Head Healer maintaining a calm demeanor, Athos' concern flickered within as he looked up into Graynin's stormy eyes.

"Do you actually have specific concerns, or are you just upset that you have to deal with Izolan again?" A half smile hooked Athos' lip, his momentary waiver evaporating.

Graynin's glare only deepened. Nothing about working with that old witch woman was amusing.

"The last I heard she was near Cattail, about a three days ride from here. She likes to be near running water, in dense forest. So start your search there." Athos paused, still staring into Graynin's menacing face. "This is the only thing I can think to do Graynin. Izolan knows the ancient healing better than I could ever dream. I believe the rumors that she still has many of the ancient texts. Those old scrolls hold the key to saving Ryder, I just know it. The incantations Chauncer and I used to send her soul to the Shadow Realm were compiled from snippets we managed to hide from the Council. We had had very little understanding of what we were doing, but we decided the risk was worth it, because if we had not, Aurora's death would have been final." Athos' eyes dropped, attempting to hide his disappointment. "Sadly, that seems to be the only help I will be able to contribute to her journey. It's now up to you, and Izolan. You must find her Graynin, if you fail I fear that Ryder will fall into a darkness she will never awaken from."

Graynin stared down into the firm, but compassionate face of the Head Healer. He knew the old man was telling his whole truth. Graynin relaxed and dropped the mask he always wore when standing off against an adversary, for Athos was not one... This day.

"Alright," he conceded, his palms covering his eyes, his fingertips now tangled in his hair. "When should we leave?"

"Tomorrow in the afternoon. I want Ryder to rest and not feel that we are rushing her out the door. Keeping her calm is the best thing for her."

Graynin let out a sarcastic laugh. "Like she won't see right through that. She's so intuitive, and observant, there is no way she won't catch onto our game."

"Even so, we need to do our best to not give her any reason to be upset. That is why I'm sending all of you, even Tairin."

Hardness set into Graynin's chiseled face again. "What?" He asked, all too quietly, "I thought we agreed that he would be sent home."

Athos did not shy away from the formidable man bearing down on him. "Plans change Graynin, you should know that better than most. I feel his presence is vital to her stability. She cares for the boy, even her unconscious is aware of him. Tairin should have been ripped apart by Ryder's wind in the alley yesterday, but he was hardly touched. Even in her raw state, she's aware of his proximity and is able to practice a small amount of control in order to shield him. With him near I believe her episodes will be more in her control, even if the control is minute."