(Ch.11) The Pillars of Balance

Graynin stood beside an almond tree peering through the darkness into the well-lit windows of the house. The night was so void of moon and starlight that he had no doubt he was completely hidden. He could feel the charge of the storm brewing overhead, despite the disconnect he was experiencing with the elements. It felt odd not being able to feel their living presence around him. The Pillars of Balance doing their job of subduing any long-lived's connection to their power as they walked in the Shadow Realm.

It felt as if one of his senses had been severed from his mind. Yet, surprisingly, a new sense rushed in to fill the coveted space, the tantalizing draw of her aura. He could feel himself being drawn in her direction as soon as he had passed through the forgotten gate, her psychic scent was almost palpable to him, it was irresistible. He didn't know how Toby had been able to conceal her presence for so long. Graynin knew he was much more susceptible to her scent than anyone in either Realm, but even a Dakawolf would be drawn to the power breaking through the tight grip the Pillars held on this world.

The Pillars of Balance were placed in strategic locations all across the Shadow's world. Erected at the turn of the 16th century after the fall of the Aztecs and Incas, to the Spanish invaders.

The Council had decided it was time for the long-liveds to stop interfering in the Shadow's world. The long-liveds had drawn too much attention to themselves by the few that had ran rampant through the Realm teaching undeveloped civilizations how to build structures beyond their abilities like the Pyramids of Giza, or the beautifully carved Petra. All beyond the civilization's technology at those points in history. These few invading long-liveds had intended to rule the civilizations, some even going as far as to name themselves gods, as the Earth Daemon Osiris had done in Egypt.

But with the abandonment of Machu Picchu, the Council had seen it as their opportunity to end the game the unchecked long-liveds had been playing with the delicate Shadows for hundreds of centuries. The Council believed the long-liveds were abusing the people of the Shadow Realm. Some felt that Shadows were lesser, simply because they were created by sparks of life from the people of Esera.

The placement of the Pillars of Balance had been the final straw that broke the unease in Esera. Giving Dallius Fron the leverage he needed to ignite a nearly five-century war.

Graynin had not minded the decision to create the Pillars of Balance, he agreed that Daemons, Nymphs, and Souladeux had an advantage with their elemental powers, but he had been upset that the Council had also decided to collapse the bridges between the Realms. He had always enjoyed the Shadow Realm, and participating in its many wars, without using his powers.

He had not known there were still links to the Shadow Realm until just a few weeks ago, when Athos had given him instructions on how to find the ancient one he had used. So here he stood, in the dark, in a world he had never thought he'd see again. It seemed anything could be possible, no matter how closed the door may seem. 

He let his new experience with the elements lead his mind away from the politics, and his experiences from ten Shadows' lifetimes ago. He felt the heat seeping from the earth, and the cool winds weaving through the trees carrying the cold front of the storm. The combination creating a swirling pressure that would soon result in an elegant thunderstorm.

At that moment, he felt the first cold raindrop hit his hand. He reached up and pulled his leather hood over his head. As if his actions were a trigger, a sudden onslaught of large rain drops smashed down on him as if the skies had begun to weep. A brilliant bolt of lightning lit the sky, and the thunder clapped.

He couldn't stop himself, the storm too wild and powerful, it took his mind back to the night he had split his soul, and Aurora was created from the void. He had chosen to split his soul for tactical military reasons. The Council had convinced him that only he, and his full-fledged Souladeux mate, could possibly be strong enough to defeat the army that Dallius Fron had assembled to overthrow the Council and take hold of Esera, thrusting them back into the dark ages. He had been driven by duty as a General, but she was instantly so much more than an obligation, she was his awakening. He had been so arrogant to think otherwise.

Graynin had been the oldest Souladeux to split his soul and survive. As Souladeux get older they became more attached to their entire soul, making it life threatening when they attempted to rip it from themselves and give half away to create an entirely new being. He had nearly died that night in the cave, and probably would have if Aurora hadn't been there to give some life back to him. She was a natural with the elements, most female Souladeux have to attend a great deal of training to fully master the elements. Where Aurora had been able to command the elements as naturally as breathing.

He still only had fragments of that night, drifting in and out of consciousness. The only clear memory was of her gentle determined face over him, her amber eyes focused as she worked. He had known at that moment that he had given away his whole heart, she was everything to him, she was life. He didn't know how he had been able to stumble around for so long without her. How stupid he had been for thinking he was stronger for holding onto his whole soul for so long.

A violent three-pronged bolt of lightning flashed above him, the thunderclap sounded, pulling him out of his memories. Before the flare of light faded, he knew he wasn't alone.