(Ch.42) Tairin's Truth

Tairin lost himself as he rhythmically slammed his fist against the punching bag. Completely unaware of the bloody smears he was leaving behind on the leather.

He had hardly been able to sleep, too angry, and too shocked. When he had finally given up trying to sleep, the first light of dawn was streaking in through the window, the heavy curtains still pushed open. He had seen no point in closing them when he had come up to bed well after her screams had subsided.

Before leaving the bedroom, he had watched her for a while, her brow furrowed as if angry and confused, her body restless even in sleep. When the emotions on her face did not darken, the way they did when she was being pulled into a nightmare, he left. His mind full of conflicting emotions.

He wandered to the kitchen, the service staff had been pleasant enough, addressing him as sir Cosik. He had struggled to maintain his character, but the ladies had not seemed skeptical. When he asked where he could be alone, they had told him about the back gardens.

As he went to leave, one woman caught him by the arm and whispered directions to Lane and Siena's exercise area in the back corner of the property. She seemed to see through his cracked exterior.

He now paid no attention to the sun that was beating down on his bare back. Not bothering to think about anything, especially the time that had passed. The sun now much higher in the sky than it had been when he had found the extensive facilities that Lane and Siena clearly used regularly. The equipment well maintained, but very broken in.

"You should have wrapped your hands." Came a cool voice, from behind him.

Tairin turned, surprised to have been discovered. Jade was leaning against one of the pillars that supported the overhang.

He wiped back his matted, sweaty, hair from his face and looked down at his hands, really seeing them for the first time. His knuckles were ripped and raw. His fingers and hands swollen.

Jade came walking up to him, her lean curves accentuated by her dark red leather vest, and tight black pants. He didn't resist when she took both of his hands in hers.

"Looks like you haven't broken anything yet, which is surprising." She shot him a quick look of impressed surprise from under her brow.

He gently pulled his hands from hers, not in the mood for her always coy demeanor. "What do you want Jade? I feel like being alone right now."

The cunning fire always brewing behind her kelly green eyes softened. "I'm sorry Tairin, I didn't mean to intrude. I just wanted to see how you were."

Tairin's edge softened as well. He had always gotten along with Jade. Other than Pierce, she was the one that he enjoyed working with the most. Even though she was terrifying most of the time, she seemed to soften around him.

She waved her hands, as if wiping away what she had said. "Let me see your hands again."

She reached into a bag next to the post and pulled out a tightly wound strip of cloth. He gave his battered hands back to her, and she began skillfully wrapping his wrists and palms as she unwound the cloth. When she was finished, she went behind the punching bag, bracing it against her body.

Tairin felt a small smile pull at his lips as he walked up to the bag and began punishing it again. This time, with Jades help the bag took an even more severe beating.

After Tairin had lost all feeling in his hands, and the rage within him had dulled to a low rumble, he took a seat on the step that lead to the uncovered sparing pit. Jade gracefully sat down beside him, and handed him a water canteen. He drank between his heavy breaths.