(Ch.12) Dog-Eat-Dog

Deciding to err on the side of caution, Graynin reached over his shoulder and pulled his Tekana sword as he slid into a fighting stance. All his senses bent on discovering what new creature moved amongst the trees. Whatever it was had a practiced silence, even in the rain. A spike in his instinct caused him to wheel around.

There, sitting on its haunches was a big golden dog, watching him with all too intelligent brown eyes. It was instantly clear that the soul in the beast was still very much the water Daemon Toby Maison.

"So that's what you look like." Graynin said sliding his sword back into home. "I had a hard time picturing you as a dog when Athos explained it to me, but it seems to suit you now that you're sitting here. I might even like you better this way. How are the fleas?" A sly smirk pulled at his lips. The smirk wilted quickly when no snarky response came. The dog simply tilted his head slightly, as if trying to understand what was in front of him.

"Can you talk?" Graynin pressed, started to feel stupid for talking to what might just be a dog. As he tried to decide if he should start yelling at the mutt, or simply ignore the oddly mannered beast, he heard a distinct voice sounding through his mind.

"Oh, I can talk just fine Graynin. I just wanted to see how long it took for you to lose your temper, and of course you never disappoint. Your fuse is about as long as my whisker."

Graynin just stood there staring at the unmoving golden dog, the color of his coat was distinctly the same color as the long golden hair Toby had when he was still a Daemon.

Graynin had never heard someone else's voice in his head before, the skill had been rumored, but he had never come across it, it was unnerving. He managed to hold his practiced look of indifference, not wanting to give the Daemon in front him the satisfaction of surprising him.

"Well it seems you can teach an old dog new tricks." Graynin joked.

Graynin couldn't believe he was having to work with Toby Maison again. He couldn't deny that Toby had been a powerful water Daemon, and could wield water with greater ease than most Souladeux. But Graynin and Toby had clashed from the moment they met in a training camp some 200 years ago. Graynin had been one of the officers working with the advanced recruits, and Toby had been at the top of his class. The true aversion settled in when it was clear Toby was a little too interested in Aurora, who was also one of the training officers. Graynin was used to young Souladeux and Daemons being drawn to her, he couldn't blame them, but it was the way Toby made her laugh, that invoked all of his instincts to be territorial over his mate.

Aurora was a strong individual, and she would not put up with Graynin's jealousy. He remembered how she would sweetly laugh at him, gently kiss his lips and shake her head as she walked away from the conversation.

"And it seems you haven't learned anything new." Sounded Toby's voice in Graynin's mind

"None that I need show you now. Less you continue to test me." Graynin said cooly. When no quip came ringing in his he head, he pressed on. "So, how is she?"

Toby seemed to sit more erect at an official question. "She's doing much better; the bruises are almost gone. She hasn't had any more dreams of the Last Battle since you saved her two weeks ago. Which is a relief, the dreams were sending her down a dark, confusing, path. It's clear she still isn't strong enough to deal with the truth. We have to keep her here as long as we possibly can. The Pillars of Balance hold her powers back and allow her soul to heal without having to deal with the added stress of keeping the elements in check."

"I agree, we'll keep her here until the very last moment it's safe." Graynin concurred. "Was it truly Dakawolves?"

The dog's lip twitched, revealing a large set of white fangs as he let out a low rumbling growl. "It was Dakawolves without a doubt. Two of them caught me by surprise when I was out creating false trails. I dismantled one and was able to injure the other enough, so I could escape, but who knows what that really does to Dakawolves. So far nothing has changed, I don't believe I have been compromised. It seems they don't know what they are looking for, they are just following the power scent. Luckily the Pillars of Balance weaken them here, they aren't accustomed to it like I am. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to break away to meet with you, but the family has been watching me very closely since the incident."

"I understand." Graynin said.

Toby's muzzle dropped so as not to look Graynin in the eye. "I'm worried about when she is no longer in the Shadow Realm with the Pillars to suppress her power's. I have no idea how they will express themselves when they have nothing but her holding them at bay. It's clear that she has no idea of the energy that resides in her, even when I walk in her dreams of her old life she is always an observer, she is never Aurora. She simply watches the power of the elements, never manipulating them herself."

Graynin had been fearing this but had hoped Toby would be the one to put him at ease. Graynin knew he had to be strong now and show no fear, they were back on the battlefield and Toby was looking to him for strength. "That is not our concern right now. We must focus on keeping her safe and allow her to be in the Shadow Realm as long as possible. Every day she is here her soul becomes that much stronger. We will deal with her power's when they present themselves."

Toby notice the change in Graynin's tone, and once again sat more erect, the worry in his eyes was replaced by determination, the one that all warriors know.

"I'm curious, how are you able to see her dreams? I've never heard of a Daemon being able to do that, a powerful Healer on occasion, but never a Daemon."

"Athos says it has to do with the old power that they used to send me into the Shadow realm. Same with my ability to communicate telepathically."

The thought of Toby being able to see inside his mind was very disconcerting.

Toby must have caught onto Graynin's concerns because without prompting added, "I am only able to see into Ryder's mind, with everyone else I can simply communicate. Athos believes the deeper connection with Ryder has to do with the state of commitment I held towards her during the process."

Graynin simply nodded his understanding, concealing his relief. He looked to the light breaking through the sky, the storm had already passed.

Both Toby and Graynin's attention was drawn to the house as they heard the door open and shut. Light footsteps picked up their pace as they took off for the road. Without a word both moved to follow.