(Ch.27) Legends Fade

The slow, constant, rhythmic drip pulled his attention from his lengthy meditation. After tens of thousands of years, he still found it surprising how the simplest acts of nature could have the most consuming, and utterly annoying effects.

He slowly rose from his cushion and walked over to the glassless window, his long black silken robes softly swirling around his thin body. The silk's color complimenting his jet-black hair with grey streaks on each temple. He looked out onto the cloud cast landscape, the rain clouds ominous presence chasing away all signs of wildlife. The castle could almost be considered a ruin of the past, its large dark boulder walls a stark contrast to the white marble used to build the new Capital. He gently ran his black, claw-like fingernails over the cold stone frame of the window, enjoying the dull life that resonated in each forgotten piece of earth.

A tight smile pulled at his full lips as he thought back to his youth. The castle teamed with dangerous life, and the flurry of power swirled wild within its formidable walls. When the most powerful were in their rightful place, when the Matterclaim family ruled, long before the ridiculous Council was formed. He felt his temper rise at even the simple thought of the ignorant assembly of weak creatures that were pretentious enough to think they ruled over magnificent beings like Souladeux, Nymphs, and Daemons. How the Council was encouraging the dilution of blood by letting Mids and Prosaics freely procreate. Their populations becoming staggering in size.

He calmed his momentary rush, he had been biding his time for far too long to allow himself to be so easily aroused by their foolish ideation. And foolish they were, to allow their short lives to affect their knowledge of his existence, for the generations to allow fact to fade to legend, and legend fade to fairy tale. To think, one burned archive could erase the past, and how a few mysterious key deaths issued by the Council could silence the few who still knew the truth. How quickly the Council grew overconfident with their misconception of power, thinking that political power had any real value, and would somehow protect them when true power rose to claim its rightful place.

He had grown overly eager when he had placed so much trust in Dallius Fron. The fool had shown so much promise, but Dallius had made the same mistake the Council had made, thinking that his political power would shield him when he confronted real power on the battlefield.

Dallius had not converted enough of the high powered Souladeux, Nymphs, and Daemons to his righteous cause, he had not shown them their true nature, before attacking the Council directly.

He had not heeded my teachings, Searian wistfully thought to himself.

He let out a soft sigh as he thought about the ridiculous blunder that had almost ended his campaign to restore balance to Esera. No, this time he would be much more involved in the plans his apprentice was conjuring.

A knock at the large rotting wooden door pulled him from his constant analysis of his plans. A low rumbling growl started from the Dakawolf that lay in front of the large fireplace. "Come now Ikla, no need for that," Searian said in a disturbingly gentle way. The large Dakawolf's leaf and root framed ears laid flat against his woven head in submission as he let out a whimper and cast his red eyes to the ground.

Ikla was Searian's longest living Dakawolf, he had been bound to Searian for over a thousand years. His human life had faded from his memories, the gruesome sacrificial transition of his unwilling soul into a Dakawolf had ripped them from his mind. The ancient ritual being stronger than his once powerful Souladeux soul.

"You may come in." Searian said in answer to the knock.

The old door creaked as it was forced open, two young men entered, accompanied by two more Dakawolves. the large room was cold, despite the large fire burning strongly in the grate. The two dark young men struggled to hide their fear in front of their master.