(Ch.40) The Unwelcome Stranger

Ryder took in the scene of the warm parlor as she descended the stairs. It looked as though everyone had taken a moment to at least shower and change. Dishes and half empty wine, and spirit bottles, stood uncorked on the dinning cart.

Ryder was relieved when rolls of heat came up to great her. She wasn't sure she would be able stay anywhere for long if it was cold. The drenching of the rain still lay deep in her skin, despite the hot bath, and the warm sweater she was now wrapped in. Everything hurt, even her hair, she was only functioning because of some rancid concoction Eva had forced down her aching throat.

Standing alone in front of the hearth was a small old woman with unruly curly hair, that seemed to represent every possible hair color. From streaks of black to wisps of red, but grey was predominate. It was clear that she had been a woman of the sun, her skin had lost a lot of its elasticity, primarily around her eyes and at the corners of her mouth. Her seeming unnatural bronze colored skin looked to be permanent as well.

The stranger's clothes were much more practical than anything anyone else in the cashmere clad room was wearing. The natural colored wool sweater, and blue skirt looked as if they'd been in use for a very long time. Around her neck hung a dozen necklaces. Some were decorated with raw cut stones and feathers, while others were unmistakably carved bone.

Ryder felt her alertness sharpen, and her hackles raise as the old women's sky-blue eyes came away from parlor floor and up to meet Ryder's.

Pierce seeing the entrance of Ryder and Tairin stood from his seat on the large couch and motioned for them to take his place. Ryder wasn't happy with the offer, Pierce's seat was in the dead center of the room. She was really getting sick of being the center of attention.

Everyone else was scattered throughout the room. Eva still sat on the main couch, but left plenty of room for Ryder and Tairin. Jade sat in all her elegant glory in a high back arm chair, her posture perfect without needing the help of the stiff chair. Pierce had relocated to the empty matching chair next to her, and Lane and Siena sat quietly on the chaise lounge.

Ryder looked around, trying to find the missing person. She felt his eyes on her before she found him, his gaze pulled her attention. He was standing in the only darkened corner, which also happened to be a perfect vantage point of the entire room, and the staircase. He was back in his normal garb, a white linen shirt and buckskin pants. He took a sip from the crystal tumbler, the golden-brown liquid catching the light as it slid towards his lips. He looked tired and angry.

"Well what's so important that it couldn't wait until tomorrow?" Ryder quipped as she uncomfortably sank into the too soft couch. She instantly regretted her word choice and tone, so much of her hurt, even just sitting there made her butt cheeks ache. She was in no mood to have a serious conversation, all she wanted to do was pass out, and forget all about the horrors of the night.

Pierce cleared his throat, walking to stand next to the strange woman. Who now looked extremely squatty next to Pierce's tall, muscular form. He gestured towards the woman. "Ryder this is Izalon."

Ryder stomach did a painful backflip. This was Izalon? The woman that they were searching for. The only person Athos believed could help her. How had she found her? Why had she found her?

Pierce continued, "She's here to help you."

"I'm sorry." Ryder said sincerely, her eyes falling to her lap where her fingers now played with one of the mother of pearl buttons on her sweater.

"It is alright child." Izalon's voice was raspy, but still showed signs of a once melodious voice, ruffed up by decades, or possibly centuries of use. "I know what you went through tonight, and what you've endured through your lives. It is in your scent, your eyes, and your aura. You have a right to be blunt."