(Ch.35) Wash Away

Ryder couldn't believe how utterly, undeniably, wonderful a bed felt. Three days of sleeping in a saddle had awakened a new appreciation for things she took for granted, such as a mattress... and bathing.

She let out a grateful sigh and rolled onto her side to see Tairin still firmly asleep. She watched him awhile, he looked so peaceful, and somehow still looked so good. She never looked this good when sleeping, she knew because she always woke up with a puddle of drool under her gaping mouth.

She had barely been able to convince him to take off his boots before crashing onto their bed. They hadn't even bothered to close the drapes of the large window that looked down onto the green front garden and the tall hedge wall. Not even the strong afternoon light could prevent them from succumbing to their sleep deprivation.

Now only warm pink rays of the setting sun softly lit the room. The glow almost becoming a halo behind Tairin. She pushed away a stray lock of his wavy hair, he stirred under her touch, but didn't wake. She couldn't help but smile. She hoped that he would wake refreshed and more at ease, the way she had. He still was not back to his easy going self. His brow was constantly furrowed, and the pleasant light-heartedness of his disposition had seemed to be sliced away with the cut in his shoulder. She couldn't blame him, what had started as a night at a high school party had turned into a deadly ordeal. One that didn't seem like it would be ending as soon as it probably should.

The soft part in his lip was too much to resist, she gently stroked his lips with the tip of her finger. With the success of her little act she decided not to press her luck of waking him anymore. With a skilled roll she was silently off the bed, and practically running for the relief the glorious bathroom promised.

"Please just work" She begged the shower faucet as she bravely turned the knob. Its answer was quick and merciful, the water warmed. "Oh thank God, no powers required to ride this ride." She laughed with gratitude.

She was pretty sure she had never been this dirty in her entire life. The bath she had taken in the stream seemed very distant. She lowered herself into the pristine white tub, pulled the curtain, and sat under the rush of hot water.

That's right wash away all my sins, she thought believing there could be nothing that provided more redemption than this glorious act of hot water. She relaxed her head against the plush towel that hung over the tub, giving into the momentous moment.

Unfortunately, the moment was all too short, shattered by a hesitant knock at the door, and a groggy voice. "Hey sorry to interrupt, I just wanted to let you know they dropped off some food, and two packages with what were supposed to wear tonight."

Ryder was suddenly very aware of being naked, "Uh okay, give me a sec I'll be right out."

"No rush, I just figured you're starving too. Apparently, we missed the actual dinner. I guess Graynin came to get us but decided it was better to let us sleep."

The idea of Graynin watching her sleeping with Tairin did not sit well. What was going on with her? Why did she constantly feel guilty around both of them? The anxiety was going to cause a blood vessel to rupture in her eye soon, and then no one would want to look at her. "No, I'm glad you told me, I'm ravenous. Go ahead and start, I'll be out soon."

After finding a terrycloth robe in a narrow cabinet, she made her fresh debut. Tairin however looked like a wild man hunkered over what seemed like his first meal. Ryder had to hold back a chuckle, it wasn't his fault he hadn't showered, and if she had been the first one to the food she would have been shoveling it in just as fast. Instead she decided to wait her turn and simply poured herself a cup of coffee from the gorgeous silver coffee pot.