Chapter 12 - No Turning Back

(yall...I'm so sorry...here's a chapter, because I'm an author that tortures people with updates several months apart)

(Also lmao whoops I forgot I gave her wings.)

Today was the day

Horses were being loaded with weaponry everywhere you looked, and soldiers were nervously conversing as they adjusted their gear. Your squadron was doing their usual routine with nervous expressions all around. You were just as concerned, but you knew you had to stay strong; weakness wasn't an option outside the walls. Merging into your calm demeanor you always held in the underground, eyes sharp, shoulders squared, and now wings perked in attention against your back, you marched up to your small squad of three, Sasha Jean and Eren turning their heads to you with wary eyes, sharing the expression of the whole scout regiment. They seemed to calm a little when they saw your strong demeanor.

"Is everyone ready?" You said steadily, scanning over the equipment they packed to ensure you had everything you needed for the expedition. The main goal was to set up a safe point in the outside world, and so everyone was bringing extra reinforcements to secure the new sister location. Your subordinates nodded swiftly, and you nodded back curtly in acknowledgement. Turning your head, you scanning the crowd to find Levi. Your squad was positioned near to his, Erwin wanting his two strongest teams in close contact to cooperate. Spotting his figure, you jogged over and put on a brave smile.

"Ready?" You questioned simply. He only nodded, exhaling gently as his eyes steeped across the scouts. It was interesting to see him in leader mode; you've seen it before, yes, but this was the real thing. His aura was even more intimidating than usual. You could handle it though.
Suddenly, something in him clicked, and he brought his gaze back to you, the coldness in his eyes fading.

"Come with me."
You blink, but follow without question. Soon you're in an alleyway, secluded from the scout regiment in the shade. You look at him with curiosity, before he crashed his lips into yours, almost desperately. You didn't object, gladly taking the reassurance of his affection to ease your nerves of your first mission. When you broke apart, you just stared into each other's eyes for a moment, his expression stern as always, but you knew inside his heart was burning.

"This is going to be dangerous. You need to be careful out there." He said curtly, crossing his arms. You raised an eyebrow; your turn to cross your arm.

"I'm not a child Levi, I know what I'm getting myself into-"

"But you've never experienced it. You've never stared one of those disgusting things in the eyes, you've never gotten a kill." You paused at that. He was right.

"I'll be careful." You say with a sigh as you step closer, your face solemn and gentle.

"People always are till they slip once." He said, voice sharp and biting as he pressed his arms to himself a hair tighter.

"I never believed it'd be a good idea to pursue relationships, it's too risky in a world like this. I stay back, avoid contact-" He took a breath.

"But you've stuck to me like an insolent brat."
He took his arms and gripped yours at the crook of your elbows, pulling you even closer.

"I love you, but I want to make it clear we can't let this get in the way of our duty." His voice was painfully calm, but it was a little deeper than normal.

"What do you mean...?" You tried to remain calm in this particularly intense conversation, but with his icy eyes boring into your soul it was a bit difficult.

"There's no turning back. If I die, don't do something stupid and hesitate from the emotions, or try to stay behind. You have to keep going. I've had to do it a shit ton of times before, I need to know you'll do the same."
Your throat was tight as his words processed. You were stronger than collapse at his words; he was right after all. There's no room for hesitation in this world.
With a sigh, you gave a silent nod.