Chapter 13 - No Exceptions

BOO! ANOTHER UPDATE OVER A YEAR LATER!! MUAHAHAHA
Guess who's reverting back to their middle school hyperfixations during quarantine :)))
Fun fact I started this fic as a freshman and now I'm a senior 😭
RIP class of 21 lol time flies

Anyways enjoyyy~

~*~*~*~

Things were going well with construction, Titan activity becoming less of a nuisance as the sun lowered below the horizon. By midnight, the treetop shelter was halfway complete, the base framework finished and ready for the finishing touches. Grappling onto the trunk of a nearby tree, you held your lantern up to observe your work on the support beams.

"Looking good (Y/N)!" Hanji chirped as she landed next to you, casually hanging off the side of the wood.

"Thanks, how's it going on your end?" You asked, eyes scanning the rest of the structure. It was sprawled out across the area to prevent too many soldiers from being concentrated in one place to be cornered by titans.

"Up to standards. We had a close scrape with an 8 meter a while ago, but nothing dramatic." She said with a shrug. Things were going really well, for once. Your shoulders relaxed as the corners of your mouth twitched up in contentment.
Fast forward 6 hours and a nap later, and Erwin was calling for things to be wrapped up. The sun was rising and shining a faint glow over all the work that had been accomplished. You gathered your squadron to the horses, chatting casually as if you weren't in the heart of Titan territory. But, the mood quickly shifted once the scouts were on the move again, the open fields leaving you...well, at least your troops, vulnerable without the trees for 3DMG.

As the horses pounded against the dirt, you let the fresh air filter through your wings the way you did when you first left the walls, closing your eyes for a brief moment. Things were good.

And then 4 red flares tore through the sky.

"THREE THIRTEEN METERS AND AN ABNORMAL! EASTERN SIDE!" You heard the neighboring squad leader roar. Your eyes scanned the horizon and sure enough there they were, barreling towards the formation in all their undignified glory. Without taking a second thought, you spread your wings and caught the breeze, lifting effortlessly off your horse and unsheathing your blades. You saw Eren's eyes widen.

"Wait, (Y/N)-" Before he could finish another 5 red flares were seen further north.

'Those are from Levi's squad' You realized internally. Your jaw clenched, worried for his safety but remembering what he had reminded you now several times over during this expedition: Don't get distracted. You let out a huff, regaining your concentration before veering off to the eastern flank where the first flares had been seen. The titans grew as you drew nearer, and your nerves pricked once more, only to be pulled out of your thoughts as you heard Hanji whistle from beneath you.

"Oi!! (Y/n)!! Draw them to that tree over there!" She instructed as she pointed a sword in the direction of a singular tall pine ahead of the formation. Sticking out a thumbs up to show you understood, you dashed off to get up close and personal with the new company.

"Hey shitfaces! Yoohoo!" You hollered as you spun around and flapped your wings dramatically, trying to get their attention. It worked quickly, the dread-inducing gaze of the three thirteen-meters instantly locking onto your form. You glared at them right back before spinning around again to head in the direction of the tree, continuing your theatrical display to ensure they stayed trained on you and not the rest of the troops. You would have attempted to take them all down yourself, but with so many at once and your painfully lackluster level of experience, it was too risky. You may be confident in your abilities, but you weren't stupid.