Chapter 7

I'm alright. I'll be staying over at Cahaya's place for now.

Tanah glanced at the text that Petir had sent him. It was visibly a lie and Petir hadn't caught up with the news, considering that Cahaya is surviving on life support.

When Tanah didn't respond, Petir knew something was wrong.

She returned to the hospital five minutes later, with Tanah crossing his arms, waiting for her in her hospital room.

"I'm sorry." Petir's voice was barely audible.

Tanah sighed. "Don't be. I understand why you escaped."

Petir bit her lip. She didn't want to remember, nor did she want Tanah to.

"Cahaya's also here," Tanah continued soberly. "His agency was raided. His condition is still unstable."

Petir froze. For a moment, she was unable to comprehend the information. Once she processed the thought, she turned towards the door to leave.

Tanah knew where she was going, and he stopped her by grabbing her wrist. She was still wounded, and even if she wasn't, they wouldn't be allowed to enter the surgery room. Knowing Petir, she'd bust open any door to save him or Tanah.

"You have to rest."

Petir glanced at him, eyes cold and dead. She may not look like she cared, but she does. She couldn't bear to lose Cahaya or Tanah. They were an important part in her life, and the only ones that she trusted. If she happened to lose one of them...

Tanah loosened her grip. Despondent, she turned back to her hospital bed.

"How's the wound?"

Petir shook her head to signify that she's alright.

She knew exactly why Cahaya was injured. He must've insisted to interrogate KikiTa himself.

If only I had been faster... she berated herself, cinching the blanket. If only... I wasn't so selfish...

If only... I wasn't... a coward...

She bit her lip so hard she'd tasted blood.

* * *

The next day, Tanah found a note on the kitchen table.

Petir had run from home.

* * *

"Is Tanah going to be alright?" Api questioned himself, glancing at the empty gym's glass door from afar. Angin was beside him, both of them wearing equally weary expressions.

Angin chewed his lip. It's a lot to take in. Tanah's sister was wounded and missing. His best friend remained stubbornly in stupor. Tanah had to shoulder this alone, despite the others offering to comfort him.

Tanah and Daun visited Cahaya every day, leaving Air's schedule open and Api and Angin left with nothing to do. With the sudden injuries of basically students in particular, schools had closed down for the better to keep them out of harm's way.

Air spent her free time jogging in the park. It was a rare sight, but it was a method to keep her mind off the pending tragedies. Despite not knowing Tanah and Daun personally, she'd shared similar worries regarding a close one's wellbeing thanks to Api.

"He just needs time." Angin looked down. "I mean, how far can a girl with a wound like that go? The police are on it."

"You saw what happened to Cahaya. If that's the result of a heavily-guarded interrogation, none of the police can do squat!"