Chapter 15

Tanah imagined what his life would be if Bora-ra hadn't shown up. He would be tutoring Api and Angin in their studies with the help of Cahaya. Petir would be coping with her insomnia. He would be threatening Cahaya to stay away from his sister.

But no.

Now his sister was working for an evil alien, he was trapped in this cell powerless. It wasn't his best day. All his life, he was the one protecting the others. He was the one that everyone turned to when they needed help.

But now? He couldn't even save himself. He had failed to protect Petir from herself. Now he's failed to shield her from a larger threat.

He didn't mind getting himself killed, but letting Petir suffer was not an option.

The only thing he was capable of at the moment was to sit in the darkness, waiting for a miracle. The power nullifiers were a bitch.

The energy barrier dispersed. He looked up sharply to see a black figure towering over him, but shorter than his height.

His eyes didn't adjust to the predicament well. Faster than he can react, the figure lunged at him. He tensed, but realized that this was Petir. She wrapped her arms around him tight.

Tanah froze. Petir hadn't had human contact in years.

Her small frame was trembling. She buried her head into his chest. Slowly, his hands reached up to stroke her hair and pull her closer, sending a silent message that she was safe. He was here.

Tears sprung to his eyes. Sure, he'd hugged multiple people. But this was Petir. Something horrible must have happened. He'd never seen her break down, even if they were living under the same roof.

"It's okay," he whispered. "I'm here. I'm here."

Petir nodded in his chest.

For a moment, they were safe. For a split second, they believed that everything would be okay.

It wasn't.

Eventually, Petir calmed down. She wiped her tears away and pulled from the hug. She refused to meet her brother's eyes.

"I'm sorry," she said softly. "Please. Forget about me."

A bomb dropped in Tanah's world. He paled. "W—what? Petir, what are they doing to you? What's going on?"

Petir shook her head. She could not elaborate further. Standing up, she turned to the exit, but Tanah caught her wrist.

"What's going to happen to you?"

She stopped. Turning to him, she smiled faintly—just faint enough for him to catch.

Then she left, the barrier closing between them as Tanah could only watch his sister disappear with the glass-brained alien by her side.

* * *

Api wasn't sure what to expect. Apparently Petir is an assassin under Bora-ra, Tanah is MIA, and he was in an alien ship being escorted to his cell.

Yippee.

"You're lucky to be alive," the box-headed alien snarked, shoving him into a confined space. An energy barrier materialized, trapping him in.

Api glared. He tried for his powers, but it was useless. There must be nullifiers somewhere. If he could just get out of here, he'll burn their faces and pants off for the world to see.

His eyes fell on the exterior of the cell. This wasn't the only one. There was another human, who was staring at the wall, locked on the opposite side of his. Someone he knew.