school • five hargreeves x reader [3]

this is an au where the apocalypse was stopped and (trying to live a normal life) five has been sent to a private school by his siblings.

•••

the new kid walked in. his head held high. I watched my classmates and witnessed them all swooning over him. he wasn't that good looking. I saw the kid look beside me at the empty seat, then back over to me. his gaze was so intense that I had to look away. it seemed like he had seen some wild shit.

I never had many friends at this school. I wasn't the typical rich and sporty type like everyone else. but, I had gotten an art scholarship there, so I had to stay. it had been three whole years and I hadn't even made a single friend.

our headmaster stood at the front beside the kid. "everyone, this is mr. hargreeves. he will be attending our academy from now on. I am assured that you will treat him with the utmost respect. mr. hargreeves, you can sit anywhere you'd like." he smiled at us, and the kid, then left.

the kid made his way over to empty seat beside me and plopped down in it. by instinct I moved my chair over a little.

the kid chuckled. "do I stink or something? because i put on an immense amount of deodorant and body spray this morning."

I mentally facepalmed myself because obviously he had seen me move away from him. i kind of felt bad.

"my name is five. five hargreeves." he stuck his hand out.

i really didn't want to shake it, because my hands were always sweaty (mostly because I was always anxious). but I did anyway.

I grabbed his hand and shook it. "I'm y/n."

he held onto my hand a little longer then expected but when I finally got it back, he smiled. "that's a nice name."

I smiled back at him. "so is... uh- five. it's interesting. unique."

"i never got a name. or, I never got a real name. I've always been called five, and I now have come to terms that anything else would feel... off."

I only nodded. because what else could I say? this kid seemed wise beyond his years and here I was barely getting a B in algebra.

for the rest of the class, we sat in silence. I snuck glances every while just to see his expression. but it always seemed... blank. I had always been good at reading people, but five... not so much.

he must have sensed me staring and he looked over. I quickly turned my head to the front and began paying attention again.

we went over our review for science and math and then it was lunch. as soon as the bell rang, every student sprinted out of the class and into the cafeteria. but, not me. I usually ate my lunches outside on my usual comfy wooden bench.

I stood up slow and began to walk away when I was stopped.

"do you mind if I eat with you?" it came from behind me, and I immediately knew who it was. I turned around to see five holding a 'umbrella academy' tin lunch box. once again, I felt inferior... my lunch came in a paper bag.

"yeah. sure." I managed to mumble out and I made my way out of the class. five jogged to catch up with me, and I didn't wait up for him.

...

the walk down the hall to reach outside was awkward to say the least. we walked side by side and didn't speak the whole time. he was a couple inches taller than me, I had noticed.

"why don't you eat your lunch with everybody else in our year?" he said, breaking the silence like a thin sheet of ice.

he was looking at me, I could feel it. maybe he was trying to read me or something. "I don't know. I'm not really friends with any of them, and I prefer to eat my lunches outside I guess."

he nodded like her understood. "I get it. kids can be assholes. I wouldn't want to sit with them either." I looked over at him and smiled a little, he did the same.

we finally reached the outside doors and I pushed them open.

...

we sat beside each other on the wood bench. we sat a bit too close, if I'm being honest, but it was fine. I felt a sort of comfort, being near him.

five ate a peanut butter and marshmallow sandwich, which is a bit odd, and I ate a normal ham one.

"I think we're going to be good friends y/n." he had just finished his sandwich and was putting his lunch box on the ground as he said so.

"why is that?" I asked, finishing the last of mine as well.

"you're different than the others. more mature. not a dumb kid like everyone else. I like that in a friend. and a girl."

the last part made my face red. "we've known each other for one day five, slow it down a bit. we barely know each other at all."

"sometimes, people can just tell. I can feel it. you'll feel it too, eventually." he stood up. "cmon, lets go to our next class."

he started walking away and this time I was the one who had to jog to catch up to him.

•••

uM this is short but I'm tired and need to sleep so yEe yEe!

excuse any grammar / spelling mistakes please or feel free to point them out so I can change them.

also comment ur opinions so I can improve on shieeeet

bye