we only see each other when we're bullied • diego hargreeves x reader [4]

This is kind of in the later teen years, and Diego has kiiiind of gotten rid of his stutter. (:

Warnings: ummmm swearing I guess but I'm pretty sure we've all heard profanity before
•••

My back slammed into the lockers as Rebecca pushed me. She gripped me by my collar and pushed hard. I hit my head and my vision grew blurry. After she let go, I slid down to the bottom, taking a seat and holding the back of my head.

"That's what you get for being a bitch!" She said.

Before I could even stop and think, anger fumed inside of me. I spat on her shoe, which caused her to kick me in the stomach.

"Fuck off Rebecca." Was all I could say. My lungs felt heavy and it hurt to speak.

She brought her foot back as if she was going to kick me again but she was pulled away.

"What the hell are you doing?" A voice said from behind her. I couldn't see whoever it was. I leaned my head against the locker and shut my eyes to stop the goddamn spinning.

The voice came closer to me. I think they sat down beside me but I'm not sure because my eyes were shut.

"Are you okay?"

I opened my eyes to see Diego Hargreeves kneeling beside me.

"Are you okay?" He repeated.

I just nodded. I was afraid to speak because I thought it might hurt again.

"I'm fine." I clutched my stomach and tried to stand up, using the lockers to help me.

Diego grabbed my hands and pulled me up slowly. "Are you sure you're okay?"

It hurt to stand, and I winced when he let go of me. "I'm... fine."

He took a step back but didn't take his attention away from me. "Why was Rebecca beating the shit out of you?"

I waved my right hand in the air. "It was nothing. She's a crazy bitch, that's why."

Diego laughed a little. "Yeah, that's true. But that's no excuse to hurt people."

I only nodded. "I agree."

Diego looked at me holding my stomach. "Let's take you to the nurses office." He held his hand out, and I took it.

...

A few days after my lovely encounter with Rebecca, I walked down the hallway to my next class. I froze briefly when I heard the chanting a little ways away.

"Fight! Fight! Fight!"

I ran towards the sound. A whole cluster of students were circled around two boys. They were on the ground, wrestling and punching.

I pushed through to see who it was.

Diego Hargreeves... and some asshole bully, I think his name was generic like Nick or Rick or something like that.

"Everyone go to class!" A booming voice silenced the chanting. It was our principal.

Everyone scattered away, except me. I waited until the crowd was gone to see Diego clutching his stomach on the ground. The principal was busy pulling Brad or Rick or something away.