Prolouge

Updated: 11/24/2019

The trees swayed in the forest. A silent whisper rushing past the trees, pushing the leaves this way and that way. The calm wind was only a precursor to the storm that brewed in the north.

The cabin, deep in the woods and half way up the mountain on a flatter space, surrounded by trees was glowing with the soft candle light emitting from the wood carved table in the dining area. The wax melting and dripping down onto the bottom of the candle holder.

A blanket curtain separated the main bedroom from the living room, kitchen and dining room. The wood pile outside lay stacked against the cabin. Plans for a future extension to it, laying on the table too.

The ladder to the attic creaked as someone climbed down it. First came the cowboy boots, then the jeans, the plaid patterned shirt, and then the waves of reddish brown hair, topped with a straw hat. Letting go of the ladder, the person walked over to the candle and grabbed it. It was if it had been one fluid motion, and barely a second later they were back on the ladder.

Moving back up the ladder, setting the candle down on a coffee table and went back to haul the ladder up, propped it up against the attic wall. Closing the trap door, locking the lock from the inside and blew out a sigh of relief.

Grabbing the candle again, the person walked over to the cot and set it on the nightstand. Taking off the hat and setting it on post of the cot. Sighing, blowing out the candle, letting out a deep breath. The person relaxed and soon was drifting to sleep, though the memories that had been made only hours before, the horror of it all, lingered. The pain that was renewed as the image of someone they loved dearly, was gone.

Outside the cabin, now blended in and seemed to disappear from the surface. Anyone would have been none the wiser at what lay on the mountain side.

Far away, ten families had gained the gift of a child. Ten couples had become parents. But little did they know, in a few years that would be over to a degree. They had no idea that
"their children" were not normal at all. They were Lycan or more common slang of werewolf children. The person who lay on the cot, had help saved those children from being destroyed by the enemy, only hours earlier. The children would be safest if they were hidden far away. They would be safe from everything in the Lycan world.

When it came time for their first shifts, the person would sense them about to happen. Then it would be a mental communication to the brother, who was also in hiding and waiting for now. They would track the children down, one by one and keep them safe then. Train them and teach them how to survive. Things were okay for now, and things seemed safe. Now it was time to lay low. Oh so very low.

A howl emanated from deep within the woods.