Chapter One

Updated: 11/24/2019

Celeste

I knew something was different about me. I had always known deep down inside. It was always as if something inside me wanted to come out. But what it was I didn't know.

My parents had adopted me when I was just a baby, though once they told me that, the part that was different didn't get solved. If anything it left me wanting to ask more questions. Questions I knew they couldn't answer.

The feeling remained and didn't go away as I grew up. As I grew older, I sensed a change coming. What it was, I still had not known either.

I slung my backpack over my shoulders, the glitter my sister had dumped on it still stuck right on. It would take a few washes to get it out. I wasn't a fan of glitter or pink, even though I was a girl. I was more of a tomboyish girl. I loved mud. What girl loves mud? I did. She was adopted like me. Except she was from China. And she was in middle school.

I went outside to catch the bus. School was almost over, and summer was looming in the distance. I had straight A's and was on my way to becoming really good at basketball and softball. I would end up getting a scholarship if I worked hard enough. That was my goal.

The bus came around the corner and as I waded through my thoughts, to the summer I meet the stranger, I wondered still, who was she? Why had I been drawn to her?

A car turned the corner and pulled to the side of the road, observing the house the young women just left. The stranger sat in the driver's seat. The bus drove past, blocking the car from the young women's view.

She had on cowboy boots, jean shorts, a plaid patterned shirt, waves of reddish brown hair that went down to her waist, braided, topped with a straw hat that had seen some better days. She had seemed really out of place, yet at the same time I had felt drawn towards her, a deeply rooted connection I couldn't explain and still couldn't figure it out to this day.

As I got on the bus, heading to school, my second year in the senior high school, I wondered what she was doing and why she mattered to my life. Why I felt this instant feeling of peace and clarity around her. As if something in me was calling out to her, she was or something was responding back.

I quickly shoved it out of my mind as the bus pulled up to the school. I had three tests today and had to ace them all. My parents were okay with B's but I never worked for B's, I worked for A's.

Despite my appearance, dressed in an all black T-shirt, jean shorts, black sneakers, my deeply dyed blue hair, most people didn't class me in any specific group or clique in school. I had lots of friends, had been on student council for years, working in the background with planing events and parties and bake sales, was captain of the basketball team once. I gave it to another person, not because I was tired of being captain, but I had said everyone deserved a shot at it. I was in a sense the most popular kid, yet at the same time an outcast.

As I fisted bumped my bestie before heading to gym for first hour, a tingling sensation spiked up my arm as we fist bumped. She was already down the hall when I had finally turned around to ask her if she had felt the same thing. Or if she felt the presence of someone looking at her, the familiar presence the stranger coming to my mind as I walked away.

A women at the end of the hall watched as the dyed hair bobbed in and out of the crowed.

Not thinking much of it, thinking it was static electricity, I moved on with my day. Knowing I would ace my test's, today would be a really good day. I didn't think of the tingling sensation till much later, by then little did I know, that it would be much too late to be none the wiser of what it meant.

Damara

I watched from down the hallway as the young girl fist bumped what had to be a friend. As soon as it happened I felt a jolt go down my spine. She would shift soon, maybe even tonight. I smelled the young girl's wolf waiting to come out and finally be heard for the first time. Waiting for the freedom of being a Lycan and being able to roam where ever we wanted.

I was more wrought with worry. Not only with taking the young women, but the rouges too. The rouges, were on the move. Taking her could force me and my brother into a spotlight if we were not careful.

It was time to take action and get a pack together. Strength our numbers, and get the power we needed to eradicate the rouges once and for all. To end the rule they had and to finally break free of the reign of terror.

I sent a mental image to my brother. He would need to know what the young women looked like. I felt a signal as he acknowledged that he got the message. He would wait in the woods in the girl's backyard. I would join him, get the girl to come outside. Either that or take her if the shift happened quicker than we anticipated. We were prepared for almost everything.

I quickly walked away, left the school building and headed to the car. Tonight could be the night. We need to be ready to act fast, get her to the cabin as fast as we could, it would be the safest  place for her to shift, to explain everything to her.

Regardless she was coming with me and my brother tonight. We had a plan and we would be outing it into action as soon as we could. As I drove to where I needed to be, I hoped and for the first time in years, prayed that things would work.

Cameron

I had scouted every camera, security camera along the way to the young women's house. I knew exactly where we had to be to be able to quote on quote dissolve into thin air and never be seen. This wasn't our first run, but this was different than just dropping off babies to random house hold steps with official adoption papers attached to car seats.

This was our chance to defeat the rouges and save our dying race of Lycans in the U.S.A. The battle between good and evil would always go on, but we could vanquish the rouges and return the battle of evil and good away from our own kind and focus on keeping our people and others safe.

Before the rouges had risen up, most of us took jobs of police officers, doctors, nurses, judges, surgeons, State Park troopers, any job that helped. From being a teacher to a counselor. We did all kinds of jobs.

But we had been forced into hiding. It was time to rise up and fight back. With that I waited behind the house. When night fell, I was ready.