Chapter Eleven

Damara

There was work to be done. And lots of it. My mind was flooded with places and locations from my memory of where all the children had been hidden. Some places we would have to come up with a story to get the parents to let us in. I would have to come up with disguises for me and Camden. Cameron would stay here with Celeste and Robin.

Camden and Cameron started working on building more rooms to the cabin, along with updating the kitchen and other things. This wasn't going to be just a cabin anymore it was going to be a home. A home of a new pack. A pack that would be strong. Once we taught the children all we knew, they would rise and be able to lead other packs in to war on the....

My thoughts were distracted as I heard a commotion going on out back where everyone else was. I quickly darted out of the house, nearly tripping on my feet as I turned the corner.

"What happened? Is anything wrong?"

I blurred out as I stared at them all. It took me moments to realize that everyone was fine and that Celeste and Robin were laughing and so was Cameron.

There, in the middle of one of the half built room frames was Camden, his frustration it seemed, at the wood had caused his hand to shift. It was now stuck in and no matter what he did, it appeared that it would not shift back.

"It's not that funny."

Camden murmured, not looking up at me. I burst out laughing. I laughed and laughed and laughed. Suddenly I realized that I was the only one laughing. Celeste had gone over to examine his paw, and Robin went back to doing whatever Cameron had tasked him with. Cameron had his mouth hanging open. He closed it then whispered.

"You haven't laughed a real laugh in a long time Damara."

I felt a blush come on when Camden finally looked up. A small smile on his blushing face. Most likely due to the embarrassment of the situation. I would be embarrassed if it had been me too.

"Well neither have you. So your caught too."

I smirked. Cameron grinned and laughed again. Then he turned to Celeste and said,

"Get the vaseline from the bathroom cup...."

And just like that Camden's paw changed back into a hand. His smile vanished and he growled at Cameron. Cameron only chuckled. Camden quickly pulled his hand back out.

"Dude, works like magic every time."

"Why?"

Celeste asked, her curiosity clearly peaked. Camden spoke before I or Cameron could. I couldn't believe he was about to tell the actual story. I wanted to run away. To not confront my past. But I knew if I was going to work with Camden over the next few days, I would have to let some things go. I needed to heal.

"Because it's not only a running joke that Cameron continues to think is absolutely hilarious, it's because the first time I tried to take Damara out on a date, Cameron who was at my place to help me, "accidentally" handed me the vaseline instead of the hair gel.
I didn't notice much to his amusement."

He was glaring at Cameron as he rolled, yes rolled on the ground laughing. Tears of amusement dripping from his eyes.

"So when I went to wash the hair gel from my hands, it would not come off. I tried for a good half an hour before I knew I'd have mere minutes to get to their house to pick up Damara. I gave up and went to pick her up. We went to the movie theater. Ordered popcorn, none of which I was actually able to eat, then to the park. So far, the whole night I had managed to keep my hands off of Damara.

Then in the park she grasped my hands in hers. Instantly...."

His eyes locked on to mine. He stopped talking. It seemed in that second we where back in our home town theater. In the park in our home town.... I picked up the story. Taking a deep breath I continued the story.

"Instantly I realized that my brother, my dear brother had tricked Camden. I instantly knew it was something that wasn't hair gel in his hair. I knew something had smelled funny but had refrained from saying anything all night about it. Not wanting to embarrass him. But when I grabbed his hand in the park, I instantly felt repulsed. I actually grimaced. When I told him the truth, he kinda got mad at Cameron. For a long time they didn't speak to each other. Ever since then, vaseline has been the one thing that somehow cools his temper down and makes him focus on something other than anger. Me to be exact. Because he can't hurt me....."

I left the statement at that and left. Knowing that it was only partially true.

Camden

I watched as Damara walked away. Celeste simply shrugged her shoulders and then went back to work on something. Cameron walked over, his laughter gone and he patted my shoulder.

"Don't worry, she'll come around and then you two can get back to what you were doing before this all started."

I grimaced. He didn't know how bad that actually would be. Damara and I had parted on a bad note two nights before the attack. She had screamed at me and I at her. It had gone on for hours. Before I had finally shifted and had run away. She went to chase me but had given up. She had let me go. The instant she had, I no longer had a connection to her anymore. I couldn't hear her in my mind. Yet we where still part of the pack. It had been too late for anyone of consequence to know though. Had her parents found out, I might have been banished. Never to see her for good ever again.

I sighed.

"Let's get back to building Cameron, we have nearly half a house to build in the next three days and I can smell the storm coming."

He nodded his head and we got back to work. My small hope for a chance with Damara flickering in my mind. One blow and it would be gone....