Chapter 6 - Big Trouble

A few days after Sean's return, Arthur, went storming into Dutch's tent.

Dutch only had to see the look on his face to know that he was furious.

"Arthur, what ever is wrong son?" He asked.

"What's wrong! I can't believe you didn't put a stop to this!"

"Put a stop to what?" Dutch asked "I really don't know what your talking about."

Arthur rolled his eyes.

"Micah, spending time with Casie, teaching her to shoot, and god knows what else. Ya know what he's like."

Dutch sighed "Really Arthur, give the man a break. Anyway Casie seems to like him, they have some sort of bond. You weren't here, and she wants to learn, she's a clever kid."

"Clever maybe, but definitely impressionable. He'll only go and get her into some sorta trouble, the kids got enough on her plate, with everything she's been through."

"Well there's nothing to stop you from taking Casie out as well. Just don't make it into a competition." Dutch pointed to the other side of camp, "she's not doing anything now, take her out. It'll give the pair of you a chance to bond, she likes you Arthur, and you haven't been around much since she settled in."

Arthur threw his hands up in despair, and headed over to where Casie was standing.

"Casie!" Arthur yelled, "you wanna come out with me, I wanna see how your shooting's coming along."

Casie ran over to Arthur, "Yes please," she said enthusiastically, "I haven't actually done any shooting yet, Micah said I had to get my arms stronger first. Do you think I'm ready to actually try shooting my gun?" She asked.

Arthur laughed. "Ain't much point having a gun, if you ain't gonna shoot it. C'mon lets head out."

Arthur and Casie, rode a few miles south, until they came to a spot with a ledge, and some rocks. Arthur put some bottles out on the ledge, ready for them to practice. Casie stood, and drew her gun at hip height.

"Is that what Micah has been teachin' ya?" He asked.

Casie nodded.

"Well that's Ok," he said, "but sometimes you have change things around a bit, depending on the circumstances."

"How do you mean?" she asked. Arthur thought for a second. "Ok, so when we went and rescued Sean, there were loads of bounty hunters, and only three of us. So we had to take cover, before we started shooting." He said. "So we couldn't stand, and shoot like that, let me show you."

Arthur took his gun out of his holster, and ducked behind a rock. "So I'm using the rock for cover, and I'll bring my gun up at shoulder level, and shoot." He shot one of the bottles off the ledge. "That way I've got cover from any incoming bullets."

"Now you try," he suggested.

Casie ducked behind the rock.
"Now raise your gun, look at your target, and squeeze the trigger." He said.

Casie gave it a try, and although she missed the bottle, her gun arm held steady.

"Try again," he said, "don't close one eye to aim, you've got to be quick, just focus on your target, and shoot it."

Casie tried again, and the bottle was shattered by the bullet.

Casie grinned "I did it, didn't I, I really did it!"

Arthur smiled. "Yeah ya did! Just remember not to over think it. What you did with Micah was good." He said, he didn't want to confuse her, plus he could also see the benefit of what Micah had been doing. Although he wouldn't admit it to Micah. "But you also need to think about what's going on around ya. Then you can decide on how best to position yourself."