Chapter 14 - Betrayal

Arthur Morgan rode down the path, on the outskirts of Rhodes. He was heading for the little shanty area, North of Rhodes. He had been there once or twice, to visit the fence. But this time, he was heading to a caravan. In that caravan, he hoped to find Josiah Trelawny.

Arthur felt the envelope in his satchel. He had no idea what was inside it. But Dutch had entrusted it to him, and had asked him to deliver it to Trelawny.

Arthur hitched his horse, and knocked. He heard movement inside, and after a few moments, the door opened.

"Arthur Morgan, what a pleasant surprise!" The Englishman boomed.

Arthur couldn't help but smile, whenever he talked to the man.

"And tell me," he continued. "How is the young Casie, its been a while since I last saw you all."

"Casie is very well, and has grown into a fine young woman." Arthur smiled.

"And no doubt, a fine outlaw!" Trelawny joked.

"But, Dutch asked me to give you this." Arthur passed Trelawny the envelope.

"How very cloak and dagger, I assume that you don't know the contents?" he asked.

Arthur shrugged his shoulders. "I have no idea, but he did ask me to wait for a reply."

"Lets go to the saloon, at least we can have a drink whilst I take a look." he said, grabbing his cane, and heading towards Rhodes town. "It's only a short walk, and you can tell me all the news"

During the walk Arthur filled him in on everything that had happened since they saw him last. Including all of Casie's history, which had slowly become apparent, down to all her latest adventures.

When they reached the saloon, they found a quiet corner, and motioned to the barkeep to bring them a bottle, and two glasses.

Trelawny opened the letter, and read the contents, raising an eyebrow, here and there.

Arthur took a drink. "Well, whatever he wants, is it do able?"

Trelawny took a deep breath, followed by a drink. "Yes, I can do as he asks, but...Its risky. It should only take about a day, I'll have to go to St. Denis. Meet me here tomorrow, around the same time, and I'll have what he needs. After he gets it, everyone is going to have to lie low for a few days. Just make that clear."

Arthur nodded. "Don't know what the hell he's asked you to do. But I'm guessing it can't be done by firing a few bullets?"

Trelawny laughed. "With the best will in the world, gunslinging would not get this job done."

Arthur stood up, "good to see you again Josiah, look after yourself." He left the saloon, with no idea what Dutch had asked Trelawny to do.

The following day, Dutch asked Arthur to go and meet Trelawny. He looked worried, so suggested Arthur take Charles with him. Arthur was unsure what he was worried about. He figured that it was something to do with what was in the letter, that he had delivered the previous day.

Arthur and Charles arrived in Rhodes. They checked in the saloon, but there was no sign of Trelawny. The men, then headed over to his caravan, to see if he was there, or running late.

When they arrived at the caravan, they saw the door was smashed open. Arthur signalled Charles to go quietly. They carefully entered the caravan, but found no sign of Trelawny. The inside had been smashed. Someone had obviously been searching for something.

Charles called over to Arthur, "It looks like fresh blood, over here."

Arthur looked worried. "It could be Trelawny's"