Chapter 30 - Escape

The next few moments, it was like time had slowed. The knife, left Arthurs hand, and went spinning through the air.

Micah stared at the Pinkerton agent in the doorway, the barrel of his revolver placed against Casie's temple, and her arm twisted behind her back.

Casie stood there, grimacing in pain, from her arm being held in an unnatural position.

Dutch, his hands gripping the cell bars, had his eyes glued to Casie, a look of horror on his face. Knowing he could do absolutely nothing to intervene. The lack of control tormenting him.

As the knife hit the agents back, and penetrated the material and flesh, on the agents back, a gunshot rang out.

The Pinkerton agent toppled forward onto Casie. A pool of blood started to form on the floor.

Dutch fell to his knees, "No, no...Casie," he cried, pressing his forehead to the bars.

Arthur held his head in his hands, "oh god, what have I done," he groaned.

Micah stared past the Pinkerton agent. To anyone, seeing the scene unfold, it appeared he was staring at Arthur, but he wasn't. Micah stared at the figure in the doorway. The person, that neither Dutch, or Arthur had seen.

Josiah Trelawny stood in the doorway, holding a smoking gun.

Casie's muffled voice, from under the dead Pinkerton agent spoke, "Will someone please get this bastard off me, I think, he broke my arm!"

Arthur dropped his hands from his face, and rushed forward. He grabbed the agent, and lifted him off of Casie. It was then he noticed the bullet hole, in the back of the agents skull.

Arthur snapped his head round, to see Josiah, still standing there with a gun in his hand.

Dutch, now also, looked towards the door, as he stood up, still gripping the bars of the cell.

"Will someone get me out of here," he yelled, angrily.

While Arthur, searched the pockets of the Agent for the cell keys, Micah helped Casie to stand.

Micah looked over at Josiah. "Well, ain't you full of surprises, didn't know you had a gun, let alone shoot like that!" he exclaimed, quite impressed with Josiah's marksmanship.

"Just because I don't go around shooting everyone I see, doesn't mean I dont know how to handle a gun." he replied, dryly.

Arthur found the key's, and quickly unlocked Dutch's cell.

Dutch, rushed to Casie's side. "Are you OK?" he asked, as he grabbed hold of her shoulders.

Casie winced, "I'm alive, but not sure my arm is much use!"

Charles approached the backdoor, "We need to get out of here, that gunshot was heard by the local law, and they're heading in this direction. I have the horses ready."

"Can you ride. Casie?" Dutch asked.

"Looks like I dont have a lot of choice," she replied.

"Charles, you take Casie, on your horse. Arthur, I'll ride with you." Dutch said, he turned to Josiah.

"Thank you, Josiah. I really had no idea, that you could shoot like that."

Josiah smiled, "There are many things, you may not know about me." he quipped.

"What about him," Casie said, nodding towards, Colm

"We need to go, otherwise breaking you two out, will be for nothing." Charles muttered.