Chapter 9 - A New Start

Dutch and Casie, arrived back at camp, just as the sun was setting. Dutch had ridden relatively slowly, and kept checking on Casie, to make sure she was OK.

As he hitched The Count, he saw Arthur come running over.

"Are you two OK?" he asked, a concerned look on his face.

"We will be." Dutch looked down at Casie "Won't we Casie?"

Casie nodded, and slipped her hand into Dutch's.

Dutch looked at Arthur. "Give me a few minutes, and meet me in my tent." He said quietly.

Dutch walked with Casie, to her tent.

"Try and get some sleep" he whispered, "tomorrow, you, me, and Arthur, will go out for a ride, Ok?"

"Ok." She mumbled, "Is everything going to be Ok?" She asked.

"Everything will be just fine." He said. Trying to convince himself, as much as Casie.

He kissed her on the forehead, "now try and get some sleep."

Arthur was waiting for him, when he got back to his tent.

"What the hell happened back in Valentine?" he said accusingly, "with Casie, I mean."

"You mean apart from her saving your life, again!" He snapped.

Arthur calmed down "I'm sorry." He sighed, "it's just you disappeared off...God knows where, and..."

Dutch interrupted him, "Arthur? Do you remember when you were 15, and me and Hosea took you in?"

"Of course I remember, how could I not!" he exclaimed.

"You were in a bad place, you had your own demons to fight, and me and Hosea helped you, as best we could."

Arthur sighed. "I know, and I don't know what would have happened to me, if you hadn't"

"Well, multiply your demons by about a thousand, and that would be where Casie is just about now." He sighed.

Arthur nodded. "I think I understand."

"I hope you do, Arthur. Because that little girl is going to need all the help she can get."

There was so much going on, he felt like a man drowning. Trying to keep ahead of the Pinkertons, Bounty Hunters, O'Driscolls and now Leviticus Cornwall. Trying to find a way for everyone to escape and be free. Nearly losing Arthur twice, finding Casie, and he felt, nearly losing her to her own demons.

They had to get out of this mess and soon. But first they would need to move, and quickly. Once the Pinkertons heard about half of Valentine being shot up, they would soon be on their tail.

The following morning Dutch, Arthur and Casie rode out together.

Dutch was the first to speak."We need to find a new camp. After the little episode in Valentine, we need to lay low elsewhere."

Arthur looked at Casie. She seemed so quiet. She had lost some of her spark, he thought.

"Casie?" He said, "you know this area, any ideas?"

"There's probably some good spots down by Flat Iron lake." She said. "Its quite close to Rhodes, but Rhodes is a bit of an odd place."

"Odd how, Casie?" Dutch asked.

"Well there's these two families." She explained, "both rich, and both very odd, they hate each other as well."

Dutch smiled "Sounds promising, go on Casie, you lead the way, we'll follow you."