Chapter 23 - Family

Casie sat on steps of the house. She was tired, so very tired. She couldn't remember the last time she slept. Actually, that was a lie, the last time she slept, was before she killed Abigail. Not just killed her, but murdered her. She was a murderer. Killing people, that tried to kill you, was different. The worst thing, was that she had enjoyed killing Abigail. So why wasn't she able to sleep, or eat. She couldn't face food either. It had been two days now.

Casie felt a hand on her shoulder, she looked up. Miss Grimshaw.

"Are you OK, honey?" The older woman, asked.

Casie nodded, and forced a half smile. Everyone else, except Jack, knew what had happened. News of what Casie had done, filtered through. Arthur and Micah, had got rid of Abigail's body. They had chucked it into the swamp, where the 'gators had made short work of it.

Susan Grimshaw frowned, "you don't look it. You look exhausted. When did you last sleep, or eat?"

Casie shrugged, "Couple of days ago, I guess."

Susan Grimshaw took her hand from Casie's shoulder, and walked into the house.

Dutch sat at the table in his room, with Hosea, and Arthur.

Dutch scraped his fingers through his hair. "We need a more permanent solution, and this place ain't it."

"So what do you have in mind?" Arthur asked, not sure he was going to like the answer.

Hosea interjected. "It's not about a more permanent solution, is it? Its about leaving here, after what happened!"

Before he had a chance to answer, the doors opened and Susan Grimshaw charged in.

"I need a word Dutch," she glared at Arthur and Hosea, "in private."

Arthur and Hosea, started to move from their seats, but Dutch, raised his hand, signalling for them to stay.

"Susan, what's the problem?"

Susan Grimshaw, put her hands on her hips, "It's Casie!"

A look of concern, crossed the faces, of the three men.

"She hasn't eaten or slept since..." Her eyes flicked across the room, to where Abigail's chair had been, a dark stain, still present on the floorboards.

Dutch dragged his fingers through his hair, then rubbed his temples.

"What do you expect me to do about it?" He snapped.

Hosea stood up, and put an arm round Susan Grimshaw, ushering her towards the door.

"We're discussing a solution, we'll sort something out," he said gently.

Once Susan, had left the room, Hosea closed the doors.

"Really Dutch," he berated, "It's hardly Susan's fault, that Casie, can't eat or sleep."

"Oh, and I suppose you think its mine!" he glared at Hosea.

Arthur stood up, "It's nobodies fault," he sighed, "but I think Casie needs to get away from here, at least for a couple of days."

Dutch nodded. "Take her hunting, or robbing, or whatever you normally do, when you disappear for days on end."

Arthur rolled his eyes, this was Dutch's way of complaining, that he was sometimes not around when he needed him. Arthur walked to the door.

"Be careful out there, Arthur." Dutch reminded him.

Arthur smiled inwardly. No wonder Dutch always seemed so stressed lately. He always cared more about everyone else, than himself.