Chapter 16 - Cumberland Falls

Casie woke up with a start. She looked out the window. It was still dark. Arthur was asleep on the second bed. She had finally persuaded them, after three days that she didn't really need anyone to sit up with her all night, and all day long. She was feeling suffocated. She was still the same person, as she was, before she got shot. Actually that wasn't true. Because every time she woke, she hoped that she would be waking from a nightmare, and Sean would be there smiling and joking. But she knew that wasn't going to happen. Being stuck in the house wasn't helping, being cosseted by everyone, just in case anything happened to her. Some wounds heal, some though, go too deep. She was sure that they were waiting for her smile or laugh. But she didn't think that there was a huge amount to smile, or laugh about.

Casie got out of the bed. She picked up her boots, and tiptoed across the room. She glanced back at Arthur, when she reached the door, making sure he was still asleep. She silently crept down the stairs, and out the front door. She slipped on her boots. She would have to be careful, there would be a guard. She didn't really know the layout of the camp, not like the others.

Casie quietly crept across camp, she saw the big gated entrance and the track beyond. She should avoid trying to go out that way. She spied Ice, tied up to a hitching post. Casie checked the saddle, the rifle was there. She led Ice to the edge of the river, then followed the path of the river, until she was well out of the camp.

Casie's shoulder was still sore, but she managed to mount. She stroked the horses neck gently, then pushed her into a gallop, and just rode, not sure what direction she was headed in. She could get her bearings later. For now, she didn't care, she just needed to go, somewhere, anywhere. Anywhere that wasn't a constant reminder of Sean.

Arthur woke suddenly, being shaken by Dutch.

"Wha..what!" He exclaimed.

"Where is she, where is Casie?" Dutch yelled.

Arthur looked at the empty bed, and then at the place where her boots had been.

"Shit!" He growled. "She was here, when I came to bed."

Arthur jumped up, and ran to the doors, which led to a balcony. He looked over to the hitching area. "Ice has gone," he sighed. "We should have given her some space."

Micah walked in the door, and saw the empty bed.

"Morgan, you fucking idiot, you can't even look after a child!" he growled.

"Enough!" Dutch yelled. "Fighting between ourselves isn't going to find her. We need to start looking!"

"Maybe we should just let her come back, when she's ready." Arthur suggested.

Both men glared at Arthur, Dutch was the first to speak,

"Pinkertons are after her, O'Driscolls are out there too, she's still recovering from a gunshot wound, and she's not herself. If she was, she wouldn't have left. We need to find her, and quickly."

"I'm going to look for her," Micah said, as he turned to leave.

"Oh yeah, and where exactly are you gonna look, Micah?" Arthur asked, sarcastically.

Micah turned, and walked up to Arthur. Facing him off. "I don't know Cow-poke, but anything is better than sitting around here debating it!"

Arthur shoved Micah in the chest.

Dutch moved, so that his was between the two men. "I said enough!" He growled.

"Arthur, find Charles, let's see if he can track her! Micah, find Javier. You two go as well. Find my daughter!"