Chapter 31 - Leaving

Dutch awoke, just as the sun was beginning to set. It surprised him, that he had slept throughout the day. Not something that he was accustomed to doing. He left his room, and walked across the landing to Casie's room.

Quietly opening the door, just a crack. He peered in. Casie was still fast asleep. He smiled, wondering if it was a natural sleep, or a whisky induced sleep. He guessed it didn't really matter.

Dutch, gently closed the door, and headed downstairs. As he walked out the main door, he saw Hosea sitting on the front porch. Dutch took a deep breath. Despite him being the leader of the gang, he knew that Hosea would still scold him, for taking off with Casie like that. Not only because Casie got hurt again. But because he would disagree with him, regarding Colm O' Driscoll. Not that Hosea, had any love for Colm, but he always thought that putting any effort into revenge, was a waste of energy.

Hosea heard footsteps behind him, and glanced round.

"Hosea." Dutch said, gingerly.

"Are you going to just stand behind me," Hosea said, dryly, "or, are you going to tell me what happened."

Dutch sat down, in the vacant chair next to Hosea.

"I'm sorry Hosea, but we couldn't let Colm get away. Not after all he's done to us." Dutch sighed.

Hosea looked sternly, at Dutch, "Dutch Van Der Linde, your an idiot. You could have been killed. Casie could have been killed."

The stern look, didn't last long. Hosea smiled, "your my oldest friend, I don't want to lose you just yet. Now tell me, what happened in Valentine?"

Dutch ran his fingers through his hair, "it was a trap, the newspaper article, Colm escaping. The Pinkertons were waiting for us. They were going to take us back to St. Denis to be hung."

Dutch relaxed a little, and smiled. "But the boys turned up in Valentine, where they were holding us overnight, killed the Pinkertons, and we escaped."

Hosea frowned, "and Casie's arm?"

"One of the bastard Pinkertons, tried to use her as a shield." Dutch growled, anger in his face. "Had her arm twisted up behind her back. Trelawny shot him in the back of the head, he fell on top of Casie. Dislocated her shoulder and elbow."

Hosea laughed, "Trelawny! Had a gun!"

Dutch laughed, with his friend. "Yes, and he's a bloody good shot!"

Hosea, stopped laughing, and looked at Dutch, with a serious expression on his face. "Promise me, you won't do anything quite so foolish again."

Dutch smiled, "I promise. In any case, we have enough money to leave now. I need to talk to everyone. I'm not gonna force everyone to come with us. Its a big step."

Hosea frowned, "A big step? Where do you plan on taking us this time?"

Dutch turned to his old friend. "This country, it don't want us no more, its time to leave it behind. Its become too small minded, we need something bigger. We're going to Australia!"

Hosea stood up, and turned to face Dutch. "Are you sure about this, Dutch. Its a big move?"

Dutch stood up, and grasped his friend by the shoulders. "I've never been more sure about anything, in my life."

Dutch let go of Hosea's shoulders, and put an arm around him. "Your getting too old, to be running around the country, with Pinkertons on your heels. I don't want Casie, or young Jack to have to run for the rest of their lives either. They both deserve better. Arthur, he's been through a lot, a fresh start, is just what he needs. And Micah, this could be the best thing that ever happened to him. As for the others, they can decide, whether they want to come with us, or stay here.