Chapter 21 - Abigail

As they rode back to Shady Belle, Casie couldn't help keep looking across at Jack. She had mixed feeling towards the little boy. She felt a little sorry for him, she felt sure, that once Dutch got hold of Abigail, after he got all the information he was after, he would kill her. After all, she and John were both traitors. She knew what is was like, to lose a mother at such a young age. Thankfully, she knew Jack wouldn't have to witness the death of his mother. The other question, which was on everyone's lips, was, who was Jack's father. Would Abigail finally come clean, and tell everyone who the real father was. Jack was nothing like John. Not in ways, not in looks. Abigail was the only one that knew for sure. John, when he was alive, wasn't convinced that Jack was his son. Casie, also wondered, if Jack knew, that John was dead. Had his mother told him. It also occurred to Casie, that Jack might know exactly where in Blackwater Abigail was. But when she found out that Arthur had Jack, what would she do. She didn't know that they had moved camp, or that they were at Shady Belle.

It was close to sunset, by the time they arrived back. Arthur lifted Jack from the front of his horse, and placed him on the ground, before dismounting himself. Arthur took Jacks hand, and took him to where the ladies were housed. In the absence of his mother, they would look after him. He wouldn't find it unusual, as he knew them all very well.

Casie looked at Josiah, "what do you think will happen to Jack?"

Josiah smiled. "Nothing bad, Casie. But we do need to find out, if he knows that his father is dead, if John is his father."

"But Dutch will kill Abigail, wont he" she asked.

"I don't know Casie," Josiah replied. "But I imagine, he will. He nearly lost you, because of John and Abigail, and Sean died, because of them. That's not something he will easily forgive. Can you forgive them so easily?"

"No Josiah, I will never forgive them, but I also think of how this may affect Jack. I know how it affected me, when my mother was killed." She said, thoughtfully.

"Casie, your situation, was completely different, no one is going to kill Abigail in front of Jack. The rest of you are like family to Jack. Explaining about his father wont be easy, especially if John isn't his father. But that will be something that he will be able to adjust to, over time."

Casie smile at Josiah, "You always make everything sound so simple. But I need to speak with Dutch, and see what he has to say."

Casie walked into the house, and headed to Dutch's room. She knocked on the door, before she opened it. Dutch was sitting at the table, with Arthur and Hosea.

"I'll come back later, if you're busy." She said, quietly.

Dutch beckoned her, to come in, "no honey, come in, I want to discuss this with you as well."

Casie sat down at the table.

"Is everything Ok Casie?" Hosea asked, looking concerned.

Casie frowned. "I don't know," she sighed, "what's going to happen, with Jack, and Abigail?"

"What do you want to happen, Casie?" Hosea asked.

"I don't know, I don't want Jack, to end up like me. I want Abigail dead, but I don't, if that means it will affect Jack. I'm not making any sense am I?"

Dutch got up from his seat, and walked behind Casie. He put his hands on her shoulders, and kissed the top of her head.

"If Jack turns out anything like you, he will be a very lucky boy, Casie.  You make me proud, every single day."

Casie, twisted in her chair, and looked Dutch directly in the face, her face hard.

"Then promise me, if you decided that Abigail has to die, you'll let me be the one to do it."