13. Five Mintues

Ryo wasn't an emotional person. Yes, she had them and felt them quite often, but they rarely had an effect on her choices. She didn't have that luxury when trying to raise her younger brother. She always did her best to provide a stable support to the boy, often neglecting her own needs or feelings. But she loved him more than anything, and that feeling was so much stronger than anything else she had ever felt.

Even so she couldn't help but feel like she was going to break whenever she brought Yuu to see their mother.

It was an all day event, even if they got home shortly after lunch. Any other plans were rescheduled or canceled outright.

"Time to go, Yuu," she called, voice much softer than normal. Her brother quickly scurried to the door and pulled on his shoes, well aware of the seriousness of the day. Adjusting the straps of his bag, he nodded at his sister.

Taking a deep breath, Ryo pulled open the door to see someone about to knock.

Slightly surprised, Kyouya was quick to recompose himself. The siblings stared at him in slight disbelief. Ryo quickly shook her head, suddenly much more aware of how her hair fell down her back.

"Kyouya? Why are you here?" she quickly asked, adjusting her glasses.

He gave her a small smile. "I came to finish explaining the business-"

"I'm sorry, Kyouya, but this isn't the time," she interrupted.

"It won't take any time I-"

Her eyes narrowed. "Mr. Ootori, I really do wish you had asked before you arrived."

"Ryo?" Yuu glanced between the two with a confused look.

With a sigh, she pushed him forward a step or two in order to close and lock the door behind them.

"Yuu and I have something important that we are doing today. I don't have the time to discuss this at the moment."

Ryo winced at the harsh tone that filled her words. She hadn't meant to be quite that rude, but the tensions simply from what they planned on doing were already affecting her. She let out a sigh and shook her head before grabbing Yuu's hand and leading him down the sidewalk.

"Miss Ryo," Kyouya called after a moment. She paused out of respect. "I do apologize for showing up unannounced. Allow me to offer you a ride to your destination."

Somewhat reluctantly, the two siblings climbed into the back of his limo. When she directed the driver toward the hospital, the look Kyouya sent her didn't go unnoticed. In fact, his gaze continuously flicked on and off of her for the entire trip.

Perhaps it was because he could tell that there was something different about the siblings. They were never the most normal pair, but there seemed to be an additional weight in their shoulders at the moment. Perhaps it was due to their trip to the hospital.

Ryo had no problem telling Kyouya exactly what was going on. In fact, she almost wanted to tell him, if only to have someone help share the burden she felt. Unless he asked, however, her lips would remain shut.

Not a word was spoken until they climbed from the vehicle, weak thanks falling from their lips.

Ryo didn't know if she was prepared for this.

She figured it was safe to assume that she would never feel ready.

As they signed in and followed a nurse, she kept an arm on Yuu's shoulder. He was clearly excited and nervous. She only brought him with her once a year, but he was getting old enough now to go more often. He had proven himself mature enough to understand what was going on. Though she still expected him to act like any other kid his age.

The nurse gave them a pitying smile as she left, leaving the brunettes alone to stare at the door in front of them. The psych ward was never a dull place, but their section was normally pretty quiet.

She took in a deep breath and slowly pushed the door open. Sitting next to the window, their mother stared out at the parking lot. Ryo knew that her eyes were trained on the line of trees next to the road.

"Hello, mom," she quietly spoke up, pulling Yuu into the room in order to shut the door. "It's nice to see you again."

Like normal, there was no reaction. Ryo sighed slightly and placed her bag on the chair next to the door. Her eyes carefully looked the woman over, looking for any sign that she was getting better. Yuu looked up at her, and she gave him a small nod.

He hesitantly approached the woman, eyes wide as he looked at her face. As they approached, she turned away from the window.

"Mom?" Yuu asked.

The woman stared down at him, face void of any recognition. "Who are you?" she demanded.

"That's Yuu," Ryo spoke up from behind him. "We came to see you, mom."

"My Yuu is only a few years old," she answered, turning her head away. "Now please leave, I'm waiting for my husband to show up."

Ryo closed her eyes and bit down on her lip, doing her best to keep together. She hated hearing those words.

"But mom! It's me!" Yuu argued, becoming the young boy he really should have been. He pushed forward, urging her to look at him again. "I'm Yuu!"

She stared at him, eyes growing wide. Her hands began to tremble in her lap as he drew closer.

"Get away from me!" she shouted," pushing the boy away from her. Yuu stumbles back at the large force she used. 

Time seemed to freeze for Ryo. She was unable to move as she watched her younger brother get shoved away by their mother. Her eyes widened as she saw he would fall into the small end table next to her hospital bed. There was no thinking about what to do- she simply did it.

Yuu's body crashes into hers. Her arms wrapped around him as she slammed against the end table, a cry of pain forcing from her lips at the impact.

Tears that were sitting in her eye had finally begun to fall. Yuu pulled from her arms and looked at his sister in shock. She didn't pause to cry or take in the pain. The moment he stood she was up and grabbing his hand. Ryo wiped her eyes and grabbed their things before pushing him out the door.

Only a maximum of five minutes had worn her out so completely that she didn't notice someone was waiting outside until she ran straight into them.

"I'm sorry, excuse us," she muttered, grabbing Yuu's hand as she moved around the person. Suddenly they grabbed her free arm, causing her to look back.

"Miss Ryo," Kyouya started, only to never finish as he took in her state.

"Kyouya?"