42. Freeze Over

The pension was quiet so late at night. All of the guests were fast asleep, and the hosts not staying the night were back at their own summer homes. She had her earbuds in again, the music giving her a different feeling than during the day. The loud songs contrasted heavily with how quietly she tried to move in order to avoid waking anyone. She yawned, putting her entire focus into her work. She figured that if she kept a steady pace, she could finish that night even. At least, she hoped that she could finish everything. 

It would certainly make things easier, and she could enjoy a peaceful rest of the break. 

Before she knew it, the sun was rising over the horizon and Misuzu was in the kitchen with Tamaki, cooking away. Ryo didn't allow herself to stop, finishing the installation of the last cameras now that the guests would be waking up. She was very close to finishing. Of course, that also meant the hosts were up and back to cause trouble. She glared down at the twins as they started calling for Haruhi, acting rather rude, even for guests of the pension. 

"Oi, be nice," she demanded. "You'll get shitty food if you're rude. And take a look at the menu if you're gonna order something."

The twins glanced up at her with a pout. "Aw, fun-Hisakawa is gone."

"She doesn't exist," she retorted, turning back to the camera. 

Luckily, Tamaki took it upon himself to display the knowledge he had started cultivating with Misuzu. The other hosts seemed a bit more restrained than normal. 

Ryo stifled a yawn, cracking her neck as she refocused. 

"Oi, Hisakawa!"

There was just one thing left on this camera. 

"Ryo!"

She was almost done. 

"Arai!" 

Instantly she paused, glancing down to see Yuu race towards a figure in the entryway. The name was familiar. She hadn't heard it in a while. Yuu hugged the individual, who had knelt down to greet him. 

Ryo glanced down at the camera with a grin, tucking it back into place. Noticing all of the hosts staring at either Haruhi or Arai, she waved at him from on the ladder. 

"It's been a while, huh Arai?" she mused. "Good to see you again."

"Hisakawa? Is that really you?" he asked, looking up. "Wow, it really has been a while. You've changed a lot."

Habitually, she stiffened a bit and brushed her hair back. She wanted to pull it up again for some reason. "I suppose. Is your family well?"

He nodded, setting the box of produce on the ground. "Yeah. I've started helping out during the summers, but you could probably tell that already."

She nodded and climbed down, preparing to move the ladder over. Before she could, however, the twins slithered up and each threw an arm around her shoulders. 

"Why'd you ignore us, Hisakawa?"

"It's not very nice."

She sighed, glancing to her left and finding Kaoru. She rolled her eyes. "You were calling for me? Sorry, I didn't hear you. Next time wait until I'm finished."

Arai laughed. "It's certainly you Hisakawa."

"What's that supposed to mean," she grumbled, shoving the twins off of her. "Let go, I need to move the ladder."

"Where to?" Hikaru chirped. 

Kaoru nodded. "We'll move it for you."

Her eyes narrowed. "I thought you were finished with the refreshing-battle."

"We are. Can't we help you out?"

"Not without some ulterior motive," she sighed but pointed over to where she needed to be. "I've just got one last camera and then I'll be done."

"Will do!"

Ryo sighed, taking a moment to shake her head before getting back to work. She was tired, but her work was almost done. 

"Miss Ryouka, why don't you take a break to join us?" Kyouya asked, moving to stand under her. 

She yawned. "I'm almost done. I'll finish now so that you all can drag me into whatever you'd like later."

"I hold you to that."

Ryo paused, looking down at him. "What?"

"I said, I'll be holding you to that," he repeated, turning around to rejoin the hosts.

"What the hell does that mean?" she mumbled. "He better not be planning something..."

She got back to work, a small smile on her face as she listened to Arai and Haruhi talk about their junior high experiences, most of the host eagerly listening to the vastly different life commoners led. The twins, however, didn't seem that eager to join them. Suddenly, the topic of Haruhi's popularity and accidental rejection of Arai's feelings came up. Her cousin, as dense as she had always been, was completely shocked. 

"Haruhi, you were always rather popular. Remember, when I was still in junior high with you, your classmates often approached me to pass on letters. Your father has a box of them," she piped up. 

"Wait really?" Haruhi demanded, confusion written clearly on her face. "I don't remember that."

"I'm not surprised," Arai chuckled. "You two were both pretty popular, but Hisakawa always seemed harder to approach."

That was news to her. 

"What?" she blurted, turning to face him. "No way."

He looked a bit startled. "Uh, yeah. You had this air of mystery about you and never got very close to anyone, despite helping a lot of people."

"I don't believe you," she decided, turning back to her work. 

She could hear him laugh. Ryo decided to keep her eyes on her work, trying to focus and get everything finished. Something in her refused to believe what he had said. It was easier that way she supposed. A satisfying feeling washed over her as she placed the camera in its spot, watching as the small red light flashed on. 

"Alright, I should be finished," she mused, climbing back down. 

The brunette brushed her hair back, finding her way over to the hosts. She pulled out a chair from the table next to everyone else, facing to keep an eye on the twins as well. It was odd that they were separated from everyone else rather than taking the chance to learn more about Haruhi's past. 

Hikaru was jealous, she quickly realized.

She watched him carefully for a moment, a bit surprised when he suddenly spoke up and started talking badly about Arai. Ryo knew that he could be rash sometimes, but she hadn't expected him to throw such blatant insults at one of Haruhi's old friends. From the corner of her eye, she caught sight of Haruhi suddenly standing and moving towards him. Her shoulders were tense and her fists were clenched. 

Her eyes widened as she stood, hurrying to stop her before she got to the twins. 

"Haruhi, it's not worth it. Few people can hit another and not feel guilty," she muttered, holding onto her raised hand. Haruhi paused, not relenting in her glare. Ryo turned to face the twins. "Hikaru."

The room seemed to freeze over at her cold tone. He swallowed and looked away. 

"What is wrong with you?" Haruhi demanded. "What gives you the right to act like that?"

"There is no reason to be so incredibly rude to someone you've just met," Ryo scolded, releasing her cousin. She kept her focus on Hikaru, turning to face him more. "Even if you can't stand the sight of them breathing, you should keep it to yourself. Your words don't just hurt Arai, but Haruhi as well."

She sighed, watching him storm up the stairs with Kaoru hurrying after him. Hopefully, Hikaru would be able to see why they had gotten so upset. Ryo was already starting to feel bad for snapping at him.