54. More to Say

"Kyouya, since you're here, do you have any preference on what I cook?" 

Ryo made her way out to the living room where both Kyouya and Yuu were working away, the two turning to face her at the same time. The older of the two had been joining them more frequently in the evenings, though that only meant about twice during the week. She didn't mind the company, as for the most part, they would all work on their own things. Sometimes they would get the chance to watch a movie, though that was not nearly as frequent due to how many projects the two highschoolers put themselves on. 

"I trust your skills enough to know that whatever you make will be just fine."

She sighed. "Thank you, but I am well aware that our palettes aren't the same. So long as it's in reason, you can make requests. If I don't have something today, I'll ensure I have it the next time you are over."

He shook his head and returned to his work. "Allowing me to work in your home is plenty. I have enjoyed everything you have offered, so there is no need to go out of your way for my sake."

"Alright," she relented, going back to the kitchen to prepare. 

Ryo settled into a rhythm, going about her tasks with few wandering thoughts. After a moment of silence, she suddenly heard footsteps behind her. A quick glance found Kyouya to be leaning in the door frame, arms crossed over his chest. 

"Yes?" she quickly asked. 

"Is there anything I can do to help out?" he asked, and she snickered. He shot her an unamused look. 

"While I appreciate the thought, do you not recall what happened last time you offered help in the kitchen Mr. Ootori?" she taunted. She took a moment to listen for his huff of indignation before continuing, more seriously this time. "If you really wish to help, I can start giving you lessons the next time you decide to stay for dinner."

He smiled. "I'll take you up on that offer next time."

"Is it alright for you to be missing dinner with your family so often?" she decided to ask, the question nagging at her for a while. "It sounded like an unnegotiable occurrence in your first year."

"While that is true, you are technically a business partner of the Ootori family, so it is excused."

Ryo paused, shooting him a confused look. "Is the Kyouya Ootori using a loophole to avoid family dinners?"

"Yes."

She laughed at his factual tone. Based on what little she had heard about the family, it didn't surprise her too much that he would need to take a break from them every once in a while. She was glad to be able to provide that relief for him, at least she hoped that she was making things easier. 

"Fair enough. I think I've got the cooking handled," she eventually said. "Conversation is always appreciated, however."

"So long as I don't try to host you?" he pressed, drawing closer. Kyouya leaned against the counter next to her, double-checking that she didn't need the space. 

She glanced back at her work, wondering how to respond. Ryo would never say something so bold, but she didn't mind the times when Kyouya was more upfront or host-like. Of course she liked his attention, though she always wondered if he was being honest with her about those actions and feelings. It was a back and forth at all times, relishing in the energy her attraction towards him gave even the smallest of motions and spiraling whenever her logic kicked back in. 

Kyouya seemed to mess with her head in ways she had never experienced. 

"Of course," she replied, unable to think of anything else before the second passed. Any longer and she would have felt idiotic replying with anything other than a confession. 

Which would not be likely to happen any time soon. 

For a second she was sure that she had heard him mumble, "Shame" but when her eyes whipped over to him, he merely gave her a questioning look. 

A bit peeved, she glared slightly. "If you're playing with me right now, Ootori, it will not turn out well for you."

"Is that a threat or a promise, Miss Ryouka?" he taunted. 

The brunette sputtered, thrown off guard. "Did you just-"

"Ryo, is dinner almost ready?" Yuu called out, breaking the glares they were sending back and forth. 

"Oh- uh, yeah!"

"Kyouya, please stop flirting with my sister so she can finish!"

The two tensed, both flushing a vivid red as they glared towards his voice. Ryo risked a glance at Kyouya as she turned off the stove, finding herself incredibly pleased. He had a hand under his glasses pinching the bridge of his nose. His eyes were shut, thankfully. The blush on his face was already fading. His lips here scrunched up in a look of displeasure, but the corners were twitching as he suppressed a small smile. 

Ryo quickly glanced away and finished her work, wondering what her face looked like as she caught Kyouya's gaze from the corner of her eye. She tried to avoid reacting to him any more, but couldn't be sure if she was successful in any way. 

She would need to have a talk with Yuu about discretion. 

"I think he's been spending too much time with the twins," she muttered. "That came out of nowhere..."

Ryo took the first armful of dishes to the table, darting back into the kitchen for the remainder of things. Yuu scampered up to set the table, sending a confused glance towards them as he noticed the shift in the air. 

She glanced around the kitchen, taking a moment to do a quick clean up of smaller messes and making sure that she had already taken everything they would need out to the table. She bit her lip, feeling distracted, and cursing herself internally for it. 

Her eyes glanced up to the cabinets. They would need cups. 

Ryo pulled down two of a matching set, eyes scanning for any of the others she knew where up there. A sigh escaped her lips as she pushed herself onto the very tips of her toes, peering towards the back of the cabinet. Sure enough, Yuu must have stood on the counter to put the dishes away as it was tucked in the very back. 

She froze as Kyouya stood directly behind her, easily grabbing the glass. He placed it down next to the others but didn't back away. She bit her lip, falling back flat on her feet. Her eyes glanced down to see that his hands were on either side of her, practically pinning her still. 

"Uh, Kyouya?" 

"If I hadn't said it before, your brother is remarkably observant," he murmured. 

Her eyes went wide as she stared straight ahead, mind racing. Her chest tightened. "Does that mean..."

"Perhaps, but what do you think?"

"I think that if you are trying to host me-"

"I'm not hosting you," he quietly groaned, one hand brushing her hair behind her back. "Not in the way you like to assume."

What the hell was going on?

Ryo held tightly to the lip of the counter, mind screaming at just how close behind her he was. What was going on? She fumbled for words, eventually blurting out, "Are we flirting?"

"I would like to assume so."

"Oh."

He chuckled. "Oh? Is that all you have to say? Miss Ryouka, I must say that I am a bit shocked that now is the time you seem to run out of words."

"Trust me, I have a lot more to say but that's all I think I can manage right now."