49. Miracle

The girls chattered away, talking excitedly and cheering as they helped each other put on makeup and costumes. They were loud, practically shouting to each other in order to be heard over everyone else. There was practically a fog of powder in the air. 

Ryo winced as she caught a glimpse of her cousin and the ridiculously dramatic makeup they had put on her. She felt incredibly glad that no one was approaching her to do the same. Benio glanced her way, and she instantly glared, wondering if she had somehow jinxed herself. She yawned, slouching in the seat she had dragged away from the crowd. Her eyes felt heavy.

"Ryouka?"

"What?" she hissed. For once, Benio wasn't trying to touch her. Warning bells seemed to echo in her head. That fact alone set her on edge, and she quickly sat up. She couldn't help the tinge of concern that slipped into her voice."Is something wrong?"

"No," the girl sighed. "How are you feeling?"

She leaned back, watching her carefully. "Exhausted, but otherwise fine."

"Could we get you coffee-"

She shook her head. "No, I need to rest. Caffeine isn't a good idea."

"I see." 

"Thank you for asking," Ryo sighed, seeing that she was making an effort.

A wide grin filled Benio's face. "You're welcome, my dear."

She started to feel bad about her anger towards the club members. A sigh left her lips as she rubbed at her face, noticing that the show was getting close to opening. She ducked into the hall, instantly hearing the loud chatter of the audience. Suddenly two voices stopped on the other side of the door. 

"Do you know if the new girl knows about the kiss scene?"

"Surely she does."

"I don't think so. I overheard Benibara and the others talking about stealing a kiss for revenge."

Ryo glared, her guilt disappearing. What a joke. 

Cautiously, she made her way back up onto the catwalk and unlocked her laptop. Her fingers flew across the keyboard as she blinked away a few stray tears from yet another yawn, hacking into Lobelia's server and anything else she thought might be useful. After flipping through the various camera feeds to check on the Zuka club girls, she attempted to connect to her phone in order to see any messages or calls she had missed throughout the day. 

It seemed that Kyouya had called her twice, the second call lasting 5 minutes. She assumed that Yuu must have woken up and answered her phone. 

Kyouya:
The host club is doing a surprise visit for Haruhi, did you wish to join us?

I'll assume you are still busy working

It seems that your cousin was kidnapped by the Zuka club. 

She smirked at how informed he had tried to keep her. The effort was much appreciated, though the slight jump in her heart rate was unnecessary. 

Ryouka:
They are planning on stealing a kiss from Haruhi to get revenge on the host club.

Kyouya:
Ryouka? How are you sending me messages when I have your phone?

Ryouka:
Is that really the most important thing right now?

Kyouya:
I suppose not. Are you both alright?