47. That Day

Ryo had changed a lot since her first year at Ouran. 

Technically, she had transferred at the very end of her third year in junior high. After creating her contract with Ouran, she spent those last week of her junior high career and the following break installing her system and doing various checks. 

She carried a visitor badge with her whenever she was on the campus simply because the security stopped her frequently since she didn't wear any official Ouran uniform. 

"Excuse me, may I ask your name?" 

Sitting at the top of a ladder, in the middle of adjusting a camera, Ryo paused in her work. Her brunette hair was tightly pulled back into a high ponytail, the ends hitting her shoulders. She glanced down at the student standing at the bottom of her ladder, her dull green eyes meeting a bespeckled pair of dark grey ones. 

"My name is Ryo Hisakawa," she stated, turning back to her work. 

"I don't believe I'm familiar with that name. What does your family specialize in?" the boy pressed. 

She kept working this time. "My family doesn't specialize in anything."

"Forgive me for being so upfront, but if that is true, what business do you have on the campus?"

"I created a security and information system that I sold to Ouran." She stared down at the boy. "Any other questions?"

"Why should I take your word as is, Miss Hisakawa?" he mused, pulling out a cell phone. "Give me a reason I shouldn't call security."

Ryo stopped working and slid down the ladder. She pulled out her badge and tossed it at him. From the bag laying on the ground next to the ladder, she pulled out a folder of files and held it out. 

"If the badge isn't enough, this is the contract and other files. Do you mind if I keep working now or will you continue to interrupt my work?" she demanded, tucking the folder under her arm when he didn't reach for it. 

He smiled. "I'm sorry for bothering you then. It's not every day that Ouran sees a commoner on its campus."

"I hope you'll be able to adjust then considering that I will be a student of this school starting next year," she said, putting the folder away and climbing the ladder again. 

"Is that so?"

Ryo didn't respond to the boy as she continued working. By the time she finished, he was already gone. Her time installing the system went uninterrupted for the rest of the break. Her struggle came once the new term started and she was officially enrolled as a student in the school. 

Rumors flew around like crazy the first few weeks of school about the commoner at Ouran. Every morning, she sat in the classroom until attendance was called and she was dismissed. Any student who tried to approach her was cooly brushed off as she was always busy working on one project or another. 

"Miss Hisakawa, it's a pleasure to meet you again."

She glanced up from her laptop, forced to monitor the system from the classroom due to physical examinations. The boy, who she now knew as Kyouya Ootori, and Tamaki Suoh stood next to her desk. 

"Mr. Ootori," she replied, attention instantly returning to her screen. A small whine caught her ear. "Suoh."

"I told you to call me Tamaki!" the blond groaned, throwing his arms around her. 

She stiffened and glared, shrugging him off. "And I've told you to avoid touching me."

"I see you two are acquainted," Ootori mused. 

"His father is technically my employer, so yes," she shot back. "Is there something I can help you two with?"

Ootori adjusted his glasses. "I just noticed that you've stayed in the classroom today."

"There are physical examinations today," she said. "Anything else?"

"You should come visit us at the host club!" Tamaki chirped. 

She shook her head. "No, thank you."

"If I may, what pushed you to create a contract with Ouran?" Ootori asked, ignoring the whine that came from the blond.

"I have to earn money to pay for things like food and water." She glared up at the two. "If there is nothing that I can do for you two, please allow me to get back to work."

Ootori smirked. "You said that you designed a security and information gathering system for Ouran, correct?"

Her eyes narrowed. "Yes, that is correct."

"Would I be able to request information from you?" he inquired. 

Ryo paused working, leaning back in her chair with a small smirk. "Yes, though I don't work for free. I'd be willing to provide a single inquiry for free to demonstrate my quality, however."

She gave him her phone number before he dragged Tamaki away, signaling the start of their partnership. Within the first month of working together, she provided him with a plethora of information on a variety of students, families, and businesses. Their partnership grew almost exponentially, Ryo sometimes informing him of things she viewed on the cameras for various uses. 

Towards the middle of their first year, she found herself completely exhausted as she juggled her school work, system updates, and various unregistered deliveries that forced her to race across campus. With a few requests from Ootori to add to that, she had spent the weekend powering through any and all work she could think of. 

Ryo found herself working on her system the following morning, deaf to the students streaming into the classroom until she felt a hand on her shoulder. 

She instantly shrugged it off and looked over to find Ootori and Tamaki by her desk. 

"Are you alright, Miss Hisakawa?" Ootori asked. "It took quite the effort to gain your attention."

"Yes, I'm fine." She pulled out the folders of information and handed them over. He took them with wide eyes. "Those should be the last of your requests."

"I didn't expect these for-" He cut himself off as she yawned, taking a moment to compose himself. "I am aware that you often spend many late nights working. What time did you go to sleep?"

"I didn't," she replied, returning her focus back to her laptop. "Now if you'll excuse me."

"As your business partner, I suggest that you take better care of your health," he said, giving her a stern look. 

Ryo turned to face him once again, glaring. "Considering that our relationship is purely business, Mr. Ootori, I don't see how the way I spend my time is of any concern of yours unless it affects my work. You will find that it does not."

To her surprise, he continued to find ways to interrupt her day. As they continued through their first year, Ryo discovered more about Ootori and his habits, just as he learned more about her and the things that annoyed her most of all.

She slowly opened up to her two classmates, still doing everything she could to keep a decent distance. 

Ryo was glad that she could see more than just business now. 

"Are you coming, Miss Ryouka?" Kyouya asked, standing in the doorway of her library.

She was glad that someone else knew about her situation.

She smiled and nodded, making sure the shelf was properly locked in place. "Yep."

Overall, Ryo was just glad that Kyouya had approached her that day.