Enigma

Damien couldn't stop thinking about her all day.

Even at work he was insufferable, he could barely focus during team meetings. His eyes were trained on the clock, waiting for it to strike six so that he could be where he is now—her front porch.

He rose his wrist to knock on the door of the orphanage, but it swung open before he had the chance.

"Damien," She breathed as if she couldn't believe that he was really there.

Although a childish scream interrupted their moment, and the girl quickly closed the door behind her in embarrassment.

"Um, you actually came."

"Of course, I did. I told you I was, didn't I?"

There was that playful tone again.

Mia smiled a bit, briefly entranced by Damien's dark, yet charming smile. His brow rose at her lingering gaze, but it only drew her attention to a few stray strands that rested delicately on his forehead.

"Ready to go?"

"Huh?" She hummed with a distracted blink.

A low chuckle passed his lips as he repeated his question.

"I asked if you're ready?"

"Oh!" Mia exclaimed. "Yes, yes let's go."

With an amused shake of his head, Damien rested his palm on the small of her back as he led them back towards his car.

He rushed to open the passenger door and offered a dimpled smile to the shy girl who whispered a quiet "thanks."

He slammed the door shut and made his way to the driver's side of the vehicle, before throwing himself in roughly and closing the door. Silence enveloped the black Range Rover as Damien buckled himself in and started the car. He rose a brow in surprise when Mia reached over to fiddle with the radio dial.

The shy girl paused her actions and shrunk back into her seat when she noticed his staring.

"S-sorry, I—"

"No, please, go ahead. Don't mind me." Damien coaxed as he pulled away from the curb.

He didn't want to make the poor girl nervous by watching her every move, but it was so hard not to. She interested him like no other and he found himself fascinated by the most mundane things just because they were done by her.

"I don't get to listen to music much." She spoke after a minute.

Damien took his eyes off the road momentarily to look at her, but her head was turned to face the passenger window.

"I've never really had the time." She spoke again, this time reverting her gaze to the blues of the tattooed man beside her.

Damien locked his eyes on hers for a brief moment before focusing on the road and tightening his grip on the wheel.

"When you're with me, you can listen to all the music you want, baby.

Mia smiled to herself and continued to stare at this enigma of a man. His tough and cold exterior was quite misleading, if she were being honest. She focused on the assortment of rings that decorated his long fingers and the tattoos that crawled up his sleeves. There was no doubt that he's an intimidating man. But he didn't treat her like she was less than; no, he made her feel good and fuzzy and experience all kinds of warm emotions.

Damien was an enigma of a man indeed.

~

Mia gasped in awe as she looked up at Damien's house. The large structure was 10 times bigger than her rusting orphanage and the flora that surrounded it was spectacular.