Aftercare

Mia had gotten back from work three hours ago and she was starting to get worried about Damien. She had called him over a dozen times but after a while, her calls were sent straight to voicemail.

Is he avoiding me?

She paced back and forth in their bedroom and tried to calm her breathing. There could be many reasons why he wasn't answering her calls and why he was out so late.

"His phone could've died and maybe something came up at work. See? He's fine" She mumbled to herself.

All of a sudden, she heard a door slam shut.

The noise caused her to jump and her heart was beating wildly in her chest.

"Baby?" She heard a hoarse voice call.

Mia's breath hitched and she stumbled forward before running down the stairs to greet the man that's been missing the whole day.

When she caught sight off him though, she froze.

His clothes were torn and dirty as if he'd been dragged through mud or had been in some kind of altercation; and his usually neat strands were a mess on his head.

Mia choked on a sob and covered her mouth when she caught sight of his bloody face. Blood was splattered everywhere; so much so, that it was hard to tell where it was coming from.

Damien grimaced and wiped his hands on his pants.

"It's not as bad as it looks." He said, trying to calm down the sobbing girl.

Mia ran up to him and rose her hands to touch him, but they trembled in mid-air because she didn't want to hurt him.

"I'm fine baby, come here." He said softly, before squeezing her to his chest.

Mia broke down in his arms and blubbered nonsense while he held her in his embrace. Getting smothered in his blood wasn't even a thought on her mind in that moment.

"What happened?! You were gone for so long—I was so worried." She cried. "You're bleeding."

Mia sniffed and stepped back from his chest. She grabbed his hand and taking him upstairs to their bathroom.

"Where does it hurt." She asked after she moved him to sit on the toilet seat.

Damien tried to smile to show her that he was okay, but his busted lip made it appear as more of a pained grimace.

"Damien I'm serious." She whined, tears falling down her cheeks once again.

Damien's grin fell and he sighed, bringing her to stand in-between his legs.

"I don't know where to start." She whimpered while gently caressing his jaw. She turned it to the side, only to be faced with purple bruising and more tears fell from her eyes. "I know you're in pain."

"Baby I've been through worse, I promise. I only got punched once, the rest of the blood isn't even mine." He said reassuringly. Although that information made Mia cringe.

"How did this happen?" She asked quietly while wetting a clean cloth.

Damien sighed and tried to get comfortable on the toilet seat, spreading his legs and leaning back.

"There was an... issue at work." He said vaguely.

Mia turned around with a frown, less than pleased with his answer. She started to wipe the blood off his face and the pounding in her chest settled a bit when she saw that he was telling the truth about the extent of his injuries.

"I'm a big girl, I can handle it." She spoke. Although the waver in her voice indicted that she wasn't just trying to convince him with her words.

Damien played with her hair and shook his head.