Chapter 12: Car Problems

Morgan's Pov

It was Thursday and Shelby hated me. How did I know? she stopped looking at me, talking to me, and eating with me at lunch. I don't blame her. I didn't give her any warning signs that I was okay and alive. Probably because I jumped into freezing cold water so my phone was fucked. 

Anyways that's not the point. Thursday was the day the van came to pick us up. It was almost time. I had just finished putting away my tray when I felt a rough hand grab my shoulder. Josh. He nodded at the door and I nodded back and followed him over to where Shelby was already checking out. She saw me and gave me a glare. This car ride was going to be the most uncomfortable thing in the history of car rides.

We checked out and we went to the van getting in. I sat next to Josh because Shelby decided to sit in a spot where nobody could sit next to her. It was extremely awkward. I had to bunch up in a tiny ball so that way I wouldn't have to accidentally touch Josh. That was until we hit something and we launched out of our seats. Did I mention this van had no seatbelts? 

Josh looked up front confused as Shelby rubbed her head because her head was laying on the window when we hit whatever it was. I was rubbing my chin since I just fell out of my seat. I looked up and Josh stormed out of the van to the front. I stood up going with him. The car hood was smoking and it was almost sunset. Josh growled as he opened up the hood and looked around.

"Son of a bitch." He yelled slamming the hood making me jump. "Car's screwed. We need to find out another way to get back." That was when he walked over to the front car door and opened it pulling a pistol out of his pocket and shot the driver in cold blood splattering it all over the front window as he glared at the now dead driver. I looked at him shocked but I kept my cool. I mean come on this was a criminal group. 

"How long would it take to walk?" I asked. Josh looked at me and glared as he put his gun away.

"Do you really think we are going to walk there? We are miles away from where our meet-up is." He said. 

"Look around us, Josh. We are in the middle of nowhere with no stores within a 5-mile radius. and It's going to get dark soon. Eventually, our car will run out of gas meaning we will have no heat throughout the night. I say we take our chances walking." I said. Josh looked at me considering what I said. 

"I'm calling a back-up car." He said and he put his hand to his ear. "Requesting a new van. we hit something and the car is screwed. Smoke is coming up and it won't move." He said. I heard it through my earpiece. 

"Okay. We can send a van over to your location in 5 hours." The person over the speaker said. I cursed. 

"The car will run out of gas before then." I murmured. Josh looked at me. 

"Is there any way we can get another van sooner?" He said sighing getting more irritated. 

"I'm afraid the 5-hour van is the closest one available right now." The person said. They were new. I could tell because they sounded young and scared. Josh sighed.

"Fine. Get it here fast." He said and he lifted his hand up. "Stay in the car while we wait. None of you are freezing to death on my watch." 

Without hesitation, I got back inside the van and sat in the back in a corner. Josh came in a shut the door hoping to keep as much heat in as physically possible. Shelby looked at him silently asking him what was going on. 

"The van is screwed. we have to wait 5 hours until the back-up can get here." He said. Shelby groaned in annoyance. 

"This day is just getting better," she said. "I had to become a stupid criminal, and then I had to be in a car with Morgan. And now this?" She said. Josh looked at her and growled lifting her up and slamming her against the window holding her collar. I heard her yelp and the window cracked a bit.