Chapter 20: Freedom

Morgan's Pov

By the time Josh and I had stopped running, It was dark. We were tired, hurting, and we needed to take a break. Josh didn't relent as we kept running. That didn't stop me from trying to make him stop. In the end, I ended up pushing him into a stream which in turn caused me to fall in with him and I yelped in surprise at the cold water.

"Well great. Now, look what you did. We're soaked!" He yelled slapping the water causing a large splash. 

"Well, I'm sorry that I was about to pass out from both exhaustion and pain at the same time!" I yelled. He glared at me.

"We can't afford breaks, Morgan!" He growled and I growled back. "Now we're gonna be slow and they might catch us!" He yelled. He was getting louder.

"Josh calm down. With all the noise you're making we're gonna be caught by more than one person." I said glaring at him and then he stood up.

"I don't care at this point, Morgan! You've screwed everything over more than once! You worthless piece of nothing!" He yelled and he just slapped me hard knocking me over and I started shaking in fear and I held my face and he looked at me shocked. I scooted away scared and he took a few steps back. My face was stinging and I knew he left a handprint

"I-I'm sorry. Oh god." He said worried and he kept backing up and I stood up not making eye contact. 

"let's just go," I said quietly and I began walking soaked. Josh followed behind me with his hands in his pockets looking down and I just kept walking ignoring him. Every so often a tear would fall down my face and I'd gently wipe it off. Every time I would Josh would speed up a bit close beside me. 

We walked for what seemed like hours. We got nowhere really. A very big empty field of grass. Josh very gently grabbed my arm and I tensed but I realized how gentle he was being. He felt actually bad. 

"we need to rest." He said just barely above a whisper. I nodded not making eye contact and I sat down on the grass gently. He stood there, beside me for a moment before sitting down with at least 1 foot of space between us. It was silent as we listened to the crickets chirping. 

I laid down on the floor and I looked at the sky as the stars shone brighter then I thought they ever could. Finally, I gained courage and looked at Josh. He was looking at his hand as it shook and I watched him for a while. 

I gently moved my hand over to his and I gently held it in mine. He tensed a bit but he relaxed a bit and his fingers intertwined with mine gently and I scooted closer to him. 

"It's okay Josh," I said quietly. His other hand gently grabbed my chin and turned my head so he could look at my cheek and his thumb gently brushed across it.

"It's bruised." He said quietly. I wanted to give him the really look but I held back. 

"Is it bad?" I asked. He gently touched it again but I didn't wince and he watched to make sure I didn't. 

"Doesn't seem like it," he said gently. I looked at him in the eyes seeing his eyes full of concern and sadness. 

"Josh. It was my fault. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have pushed you." I looked down but he just pulled my head right back up to look at me. 

"I was the one who snapped. I hurt you," he said. "I shouldn't have ever done that." now it was his turn to look down. 

I grabbed his head making him look at me and I smiled gently. He looked at me and he leaned forward leaning his head on my shoulder. I gently wrapped my arm around him bringing him close to me and he hugged back gently letting go of my hand.

We stayed like this for a while. Just holding each other. He breathed gently and soon he was fast asleep in my arms. I leaned down a bit and laid us both down on the grass and fell asleep beside him. 

~~~

I had woken up to loud thunder and I jumped awake seeing Josh also jump. He looked at me worried. Not even 10 seconds after the thunder had hit, it was pouring. We both stood up as fast as we would and sprinted to try and get cover as he held my hand and not my wrist this time. I had only just remembered my stitches and how they didn't hurt or bleed. Not important Morgan get with the program!

We sprinted into the tree cover and hid under a few trees and we both panted out of breath from the adrenaline rushing through our systems. We both shared a look of concern and we both smiled a bit and we started laughing. 

"Well, I guess that's one way to wake up." I chuckled and Josh smiled like an absolute dork as he laughed. 

We waited under that tree for hours most likely, waiting for the storm to pass. The trees provided decent cover but we weren't dry by the end. 

After the storm, we stood up brushing off our pants trying to get off as much mud as possible. Then we both heard a sharp ring in our ears causing us to wince and put our hands against our ears when I heard Shelby's voice come over our speakers. No doubt the screech was due to them being disabled. Shelby probably found out how to hack them. 

"Morgan! Josh! We have a situation at the base! Where are your locations?!" She yelled. I looked at Josh concerned and his face hardened kicking back into criminal gear. He put his hand on his ear talking.

"Shelby. What is the situation?" He said calmly.

"Oh god! It's horrible! They're attacking everyone! It's absolute chaos!" She yelled. I heard her let out whimpers of fear. I quickly put my hand to my ear.

"Is my sister okay? Is she with you?" I asked worriedly. My heart began racing. Not that it wasn't already considering my best friend was in this situation. 

"She went into the fight! I can't see where she is! Oh god!" The sound of gunshots was heard loudly nearby her. I tensed up trying to make sure Shelby was okay but she didn't respond and the line went dead. I looked at Josh absolutely terrified. He didn't share the same look. 

He grabbed my hand and we began sprinting hoping that we would be able to find something that we could recognize that way we could get back to base faster. Josh continuously tried to contact Shelby but nothing. Just static. 

"Josh! You said you knew that the base was something of our group's right?" I yelled as I panted out of breath. 

"Yeah." He said with the tone as if saying 'What's your point?'

"So you know the area around it! You know the direction base is!" I yelled and he slowed down just a bit and then we abruptly turned around sprinting even faster and he let go of my hand but I managed to keep up mostly. 

That was when we ended up hitting a road and Josh paused looking around it as I fell to my knees panting and wheezing. Josh looked at me helping me up not giving me a break as we kept going. 

"J-Josh. I-I can't..." I started but my vision was blurred and I couldn't breathe. He slowed down, finally realizing my situation and he kept me balanced as I kept trying to regain my breath and my vision all at once. I looked at him in the eyes seeing a bit of concern in his eyes.

"I-I'll be fine. Let's just keep going." I said quietly not wanting to stop for too long. He just nodded and we went off sprinting again down the road.