A small explanation

Ink's P.O.V

Too close. That was way, way too close. I sat here on this hospital bed with Blueberry trembling on my lap, his eye sockets closed. The thing with Blueberry is that when he's scared, he closes his eye sockets and refuses to open them. It makes him feel safer, like nothing is there if he can't see it. As a child, I would do that too. But sometimes, it's better to open your eyes and prove that there's actually nothing there.

Sci had taken a sample of Blueberry's blood from the wounded area and put it in a small, old devise. That's the thing, everything here is old. These days, you can't get new materials, we always have to recycle old ones. That rusty devise has been in this arena for ten years. Surprisingly, it's still reliable.

"I have the results." Sci announced. "Luckily, you're not infected."

I breathed a sigh of relief. Thank the creators.

"You won't be able to fight until your leg is fully healed." Sci said, pulling out a bandage and wrapping it around Blueberry's wounded leg. "That might take a while."

Blueberry didn't seem too worried about that. I wonder why. Sci seemed to have something else to say, but wasn't sure whether he should say it or not.

"Thanks for helping Blueberry." I said.

Sci nodded and smiled. "It's the least I could do." His smile faded. "Um...I have something to tell you both."

I raised my non-existent eyebrow. "What is it?"

Sci looked out the door of the room we were in. A guard was standing at the door, talking to someone down the hall. Sci then leaned in a little closer to Blueberry and I.

"I have some friends from outside the arena." He explained. "They're planning on breaking you and the other warriors out of here."

I was silent. Blueberry spoke up.

"Do you mean it?" He asked.

Sci nodded. "Yes. Don't tell anyone. These guards are here for a reason. They don't want anyone getting out."

"Why would they care if we got out?" I asked.

"Because it's hard to come across warriors these days. The camps that train them are being overrun left right and centre. And even if they can find some, they're expensive. That's why they're using this arena for entertainment purposes."

Of course. Even in a zombie apocalypse, all anyone cares about is money. Money, money, money. Money doesn't make the world go round anymore.

I huffed. "So what's the plan?"

Well..." Sci continued. "I can't say much. But, just be ready for someone to come crashing through your wall at any time. Don't tell the other's yet. I'd like to tell them myself."

Blueberry and I nodded. Sci backed away and called out to the guard.

"They're ready to go back to their room!"

The guard responded immediately, walking into the room.

"Is he infected?" He asked.

Sci shook his head, no. The guard sighed and signalled us to come and follow. I hopped off the hospital bed and helped Blueberry limp back to our room.

Things were pretty normal back in our room. Everyone was sitting on their beds, doing whatever it is that they do after a battle. Except, of course, we had about eight hours to ourselves this time. That's a lot of time to sit around and be bored. Blueberry and I went to our bed. I sat down first and Blueberry hugged me, curling up on my lap. I rubbed his back, up and down, comfortingly. Then Fell came up to us, smoking a cigarette like usual.

"Is he ok?" He asked.

"Yeah." I replied. "It's just a scratch, no infection."

Fell nodded. "That's good to hear. If you, uh...need anything, just ask, OK?"

I nodded back. "Thank you."

Fell walked off again, blowing smoke out from his mouth. So, that a*shole actually cares. I couldn't help but smile. I looked over at Dust, remembering that he had also helped me open the gate. He had been watching us, but he looked away as soon as I looked back. Aw, he cares too. I examined the rest of the room, stopping when I found something different. Horror and Killer were sitting cross-legged on the same bed, playing chess on a board placed between them.

"Where'd you get that?" I asked.

"The announcer gave it to us as an apology." Killer answered, moving his queen across the board. "There's another set in the cupboard if you wanna play."

Oh, and, we all share a cupboard. It could be worse, we don't actually have many clothes between us. I looked down at Blueberry and opened my mouth to ask if he wanted to play, but he had fallen asleep.

"He gave us more books too." Cross said.

Cross happened to be reading a book, whilst sitting up against the wall and on his bed. That just left Geno and Reaper. They were easy to spot. Geno was laying n his bed with a blanket over his head, trying to sleep. But Reaper was sitting at the end of Geno's bed, pestering him. Well, nobody seemed to be doing anything much of interest. I decided to just let them be. I lay down on my bed, pulling Blueberry beside me and continuing to hug him. Man, I miss the days when I was able to draw. I would draw anything that came to mind, and it would come out exactly how I pictured it. Highly detailed, with personality.

I suppose I should explain a little more about how we got here. We didn't all come here at the same time. There were two seperate trucks. The first truck transported Dust, Killer, Cross, Reaper and Horror. The second transported Blueberry, Papyrus, Geno, Fell and me, Ink. Unfortunately, our truck was attacked during transport by a hoard of zombies. The things completely tore through the thin metal walls. Papyrus, Blueberry's brother, ran in the opposite direction of the arena, flare in hand and telling us to run. We ran, Blueberry too, but he looked away at the wrong time. He saw his brother be eaten by the zombies, heard is screams of pain. It traumatised him. And if I had been in the same position, I would be traumatised too.

So, there are supposed to be ten of us. The people who owned the arena weren't at all impressed with only getting nine of us. Apparently, we're expensive. Geez, they treat us like property. There were others before the nine of us. All of them died. They weren't very well trained. I have to say, Papyrus was one of the strongest of us. I admired him, always telling jokes even in the worst of situations, he wasn't afraid to get close to someone, to care. He would do anything to protect us, and that's what he did.

"F**k!" Horror yelled.

"I win again!" Killer announced proudly.

"One more game! I'll beat you this time!"

I chuckled. Even though nobody here seemed to care, you could always get a good laugh from them. We aren't in the worst situation, there are some who are lost out in no man's land, where every zombie is waiting to chomp you. At least here we're given food, water, a safe place to sleep. It might not seem like much, but to the rest of the world, it's living in luxury. That made me wonder about what Sci had said. Someone he knew was going to break us out of here? I hope they're taking us somewhere better then here, it would be a pain if it was just some rundown house surrounded by the walking dead.

I couldn't think much more about it though. I found myself falling into the comforting arms of sleep...