Mutant down

Blueberry's P.O.V

Despite it's size, about ten feet tall, the mutant was fast enough to stay on our tails. I was trying my best to stay with Dust, Dream and Killer, but it was difficult with my injured leg. Why must injuries take so long to heal? I knew that I would end up slowing us down at some point, but I had to keep moving. Dust was constantly looking behind him, checking that I was still with them. The loud stomps that shook the ground as the mutant ran were making me freak out inside. My leg ached so much, I wanted nothing more then to lay down and sleep off the pain, like I had done the whole time during the trip. But I can't, not this time.

The mutant let out a mighty roar and sped up, raising it's arm to the sky. At this rate, he would catch up to me and smash me to pieces. Becoming a pile of broken bones and dust wasn't exactly on my to-do list. I tried to run faster, but could barely do so. We kept running through the trees, hurtling over logs and trying to remember which way the surviver camp was. Dream was leading the way and we just prayed to the creators that he knew what he was doing.

"Blue, you have to run faster!" Dust said, looking back again.

I tried harder, but I was going as fast as I could. The mutant was almost on top of me. How can something that big go this fast? I can't let it catch me. I can't let myself get killed...

"Blue! Get out of the way!" Dust yelled.

I dared to look behind me at the mutant. Big mistake. It slowed me down, and I got a clear view of the mutant's arm swinging down at me, aiming to smash me to dust. I don't know how, but it just missed. The impact, however, sent me tumbling forwards. I scrambled back to my feet, but the mutant was already preparing it's next attacking. As it took it's swing, Dust jumped in front and wrapped his arms around me. He took most of the attack and we were both sent flying like a ball hit by a baseball bat. We had an unpleasant crash into a tree. Again, Dust took most of it. I was instantly filled with concern for Dust, as I had heard the sound of multiple bones breaking.

The mutant ran up to us once again, snarling and preparing to smash us into the ground. It stopped and hissed in pain when several arrows pierced it's fleshy back.

"Blue! Dust! Get out of there!" Dream yelled.

Despite being in so much pain, Dust stood up, carrying me in his arms. He ran back towards Dream and Killer. Killer pulled out three knives and threw them at the mutant, aiming for the head. The mutant whacked the knives away with it's bone arm. Once Dust and I caught up to Dream and Killer, we started running again. This time, it was Dust who was falling behind. I told him to put me down, but he wouldn't listen. And that crash looked like it did something bad to his spine. Yet, he kept running, ignoring the pain. The mutant certainly wasn't happy with how determined we were to get away. It sped up again.

"Blue, do you see any weak spots on this thing?" Killer asked, grabbing another knife from his pocket.

I examined the mutant. It was hard to get a clear look as we ran, but I did see something. Something looked like it was beating in the mutant's chest, nearly ready to burst. I remembered the heart in the mutant wolf's chest. Rotten, green, yet still beating. It was alive. And so is this mutant. If the heart is struck, then the mutant will die.

"Killer, the mutant's heart! Aim for it's chest, just below it's head!" I yelled.

Killer nodded and stopped running, turning to the mutant. We kept going. The mutant raised it's arm again for a final attack, but Killer was ready. As the arm swung, Killer bolted forward and jumped, using his knife to help him climb on the mutant. The mutant shrieked as the knife pierced it's thick skin over and over again. Killer gave one last stab, right were the heart would be, and put all his weight on the knife. The knife slid through the rotting flesh, cutting open the mutant. It snarled a last snarl as it's heart stopped and blood splatted out from the deep wound. Then, it collapsed. We breathed a sigh of relief and stopped to catch our breaths. Dust sat down on the ground, his body shaking from pain.

"Dust, are you ok?" I asked.

"I think my spine's broken." Dust groaned.

"May I check?"

Dust nodded. I carefully lifted his shirt and jumper up to see his back. There were a few broken ribs, but what really worried me was the long, deep crack through his spine, blood slowly seeping out of it. How was he even able to run with a wound like this?

"You think you'll be able to get to the surviver camp?" Killer asked.

Dust shook his head. "I can't go any further..."

After he helped me, I was determined to help him. Carefully, I picked him up, holding him like someone would hold a newly wed bride. I ignored the pain in my leg this time.

Dust blushed. "Baby Blue, you don't have to-"

"You can't change my mind." I interrupted. "I'm not leaving you behind."

Dust opened his mouth to say something, but stopped.

"I know the way to the camp." Dream said. "Lets go before the rest of the guards come looking for us."

The three of us nodded. I just hope the others are ok. Getting chased by a mutant is one thing, but cars full of armed guards is a lot harder to escape. All we could do is hope as we continued on our way to the surviver camp.