Caring Hurts

Killer's P.O.V

I heard someone coughing from the back of the bus. Nightmare was the only one up there, so I assumed it was him. Despite how much of a jerk he had been, I felt worried and got up to check on him. He was sitting in a ball on his seat, coughing and wheezing into his hand. Black goop was dripping from his eye sockets, nose socket and his mouth.

"Nightmare, are you-"

I was cut off when Nightmare shoved me aside and ran to the ladder leading to the roof. He didn't bother shutting the trapdoor behind him. I hear the sickening sound of bones shattering, followed by an agonising scream from Nightmare.

"What's wrong with him?" Horror asked.

"He's changing back to his goopy form." Lust explained. "It's quite painful for him..."

Everyone went silent, listening to Nightmare's cries. Following my instincts, I climbed up onto the roof and closed the trapdoor behind me. Nightmare was on all fours, a large goopy tentacle protruding from his back once again, limp over him. Parts of his body were covered in black goop.

"Why...? Why does it hurt so much?" Nightmare asked.

"You've experienced this several times before-"

"No...I'm not talking about turning back..." Nightmare looked back at me, tears streaming down his face. "How could caring...hurt so much?"

I see now. It's quite possible that the little speech Cross gave Nightmare had made him realise what he was doing. How wrong it was. But I can't be sure.

"You care, Nightmare?" I asked.

Nightmare nodded slightly, turning his whole body to me. He was trembling in pain.

"When did you start caring?" I asked.

"When I shot Buddy...When I broke my little brother's heart..." Nightmare looked down, his tears still streaming. "The hate in his eye lights...I've seen that in him before...it's shattering..."

Another goopy tentacle shot out of Nightmare's back. He screamed in pain, curling forward into a ball. Now I see why Nightmare hates water so much. I scooted forward and gently pet his head. He flinched at first, but relaxed quickly.

"Why...? Why do you care about me...?" He asked.

I looked down. "I don't know."

Yet another tentacle broke through his back, and another cry escaped Nightmare's mouth. I cupped his cheek and gently raised his face to look at me. His eye lights were filled with sorrow and pain. And, he was scared. What he was scared of, I didn't know. I pulled him into an embrace.

"I don't deserve your care..." He muttered. "I'm a terrible monster..."

"No." I said firmly. "You just a hurt soul who doesn't know what it's like to feel love. Not yet, anyway." I smiled gently at him. "One can always learn, you know?"

Nightmare broke down, hugging me tightly and sobbing into my shoulder. He yelled out apologies between sobs and hiccups. So loud that anyone in the mountains could hear him. I don't think he cared, just as long as his younger brother heard him. Maybe he was afraid he would never be forgiven, no matter how hard he tried to make it up to Dream. I only sat there, rubbing his back softly, doing all I knew how to comfort him. Then, the forth and final tentacle shot through Nightmare's back. That screech was the loudest, but it was followed by an uncomfortable silence.

Nightmare's crying had stopped, and for a moment, I panicked. But, thankfully, he had just fainted. But his transformation back to his goopy form was complete, he was now his usual octopus self. Heheh, octopus. I took off my jacket and folded it, then used it as cushioning for my head when I laid back. I kept Nightmare cuddled up to my side. I felt tired. By now, everyone would've felt tired. Four or five long days out in a zombie wasteland, with very few breaks from the madness. Now the sky was orange with the sunset, and a peaceful wind blew over us. I could see by the scenery that we were almost out of the mountains. After the mountains was a vast and lush forest, more beautiful the the forest covered in the white snow day in and day out, all year round. Birds, non infected birds, were flying over the tall and proud trees. Though it was still a bit away, I could see a few details. Nightmare's nap was very, very short. He woke up a few minutes after fainting. He couldn't move very much after so much stress and pain.

"K-Killer..." He mumbled weakly.

"I'm here." I replied, caressing his cheekbone softly.

Nightmare hummed and closed his eye sockets. He didn't fall asleep, I think he was just enjoying the dying light of the sun before it went down. Almost three days without a zombie in sight. A miracle, if I've ever seen one.

"Killer..." Nightmare mumbled, reopening his eye sockets. "I'm sorry..."

I raised my non-existent eyebrow. "For what?"

"For being a big jerk..."

I couldn't help but laugh. "It's fine, Nighty. I forgive you."

A glimmer of relief flashed in Nightmare's eye lights. He cuddled a little closer to me, limply wrapping his tentacles around me.

"I still don't understand why you care about me..."

I thought for a moment. "Well, everyone deserves a second chance, right?"

For the first time, Nightmare smiled. It was almost magical. I turned my body to face Nightmare completely and put my foreskull against his.

"Killer...do you love me?" Nightmare asked.

"That's a rather sudden question." My smile widened. "Maybe a little."

"You're not lying...are you?"

I shook my head. "No, I'm not lying."

He instantly pulled me into a kiss. I smirked, kissing back and humming quietly. After just a few minutes, we pulled away.

"You're very straight forward." I commented.

"Sorry...I've never done this before..."

Nightmare looked away, clearly embarrassed. I sighed and kissed his cheekbone.

"Looks like we're both weirdos together, yeah?" I smiled.

Nightmare nodded. "Yeah, I suppose..."

Yep. Just us two weirdos. And I suppose all the other weirdos down in the bus. A bus filled of weirdos in a zombie wasteland. And people say I'm bad. To think this trip was just suppose to be a rescue mission. Now relationships are forming left, right and centre. Well, if we all make it to that surviver camp, our lives there might be better then we thought they would be. I hope so.

But before we got there, there was still one more challenge. Our toughest challenge yet.