Chapter Two: Konoha

❝If you don't understand someone's pain, you can never understand them.❞ ㅡ Nagato

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER TWO:

KONOHA

THREE YEARS LATER

                 Black eyes darted to the right, then to the left, only to lock on the blackboard again. A frown formed on Maki's tanned features. There was no sight of her brunette friend, as usual. Ever since Rei had moved with her family to Konoha, she had not been the same. It worried nine-year-old Maki to no end; she missed her best friend, the one who always — even on rainy days — woke up with a smile on her face and wouldn't stop laughing at the easiest joke — always made by Kankuro.

But old, happy Rei seemed to be long gone. Only the remembrance of it remained in Maki's mind, hoping to be brought back to life again. However, no matter how hard Maki — or her mother — tried, they couldn't even catch a glimpse of even a small change in Rei's now typical stoical expression.

Defeated, Maki let out a heavy sigh and leaned on the desk she shared with one of her classmates, Kiba Inuzuka—also known as 'dog lover', what with all the dogs with which he lived (he even carried one of them everywhere he went). Their teacher, Iruka Umino, was already explaining that day's lesson about Taijutsu, and she was supposed to be taking notes. But, for some reason, her mind wouldn't focus.

Her dark gaze drifted towards the closed door one more time. She was late again; in fact, Maki didn't know if she was even going to show up.

The girl huffed, mildly annoyed. Rei kept skipping classes but always managed to pass the tests without really trying. Nevertheless, she wasn't the smartest in the class; as long as Sakura Haruno went to the same class as theirs, the pinkette would take that place.

Not that it mattered to Rei, anyway.

Suddenly, the door slid open. The sound echoed throughout the room and was enough to make their teacher, Iruka, stop and turn around. A noticeable disappointed look crossed his face, before he crossed his arms over his chest.

"Rei, you're late!"

However, the young girl didn't even acknowledge his presence; she simply headed for her desk, causing him to lock his jaw as to stop himself from barking in front of the rest of his students. To be honest, he preferred nagging Naruto Uzumaki than scolding Rei; the blond didn't ignore him at least — even if he talked back, the little shit.

In the end, Iruka decided to postpone the conversation; he would admonish Rei when the lesson was over.

Meanwhile, Rei had taken her seat next to the window, ignoring Maki in the process. She placed a hand under her chin as her orange eyes fixed outside. A distant, indifferent look was plastered on her face; as though her mind were elsewhere. There was a glint in her gaze, however; Maki could see it from behind her: that expression of despair reflected on the glass.

Rei was thinking of her parents; that much she knew. The two girls had spent most of their childhood together, and even though distance had managed to break between them, Maki still knew her like a sister.

"Hey, Rei!" Kiba called out.

Said girl blinked twice, quickly snapping out of her thoughts, before she glanced at the grinning boy. It took her a couple of seconds to realise school was over and almost everyone had already left. Only some of them remained, Maki being one of them, who gave her a look before walking out.