Chapter Five: Unexpected

❝Hard work is useless for those who don't believe in themselves.❞ ㅡ Naruto Uzumaki

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER FIVE:

UNEXPECTED

                        It had been almost a week since Rei — and the rest of the rookies — had been placed in their respective teams, and things had been great so far. Surprisingly, they had passed the exam to become Genin, even though Rei had fallen unconscious when it was over. And after being released from the hospital, Team Five had started to go on missions. However, Rei couldn't help but feel that those D-ranked missions her team had been accomplishing wouldn't lead them anywhere near the greatest shinobi. But she wasn't going to complain, seeing as her noisy friend had enough wailings for the two of them.

"I'm done with these missions!" Naruto pulled a face as he threw his arms in the air, waiving frantically. "I don't want to chase demonic cats — that's not what ninjas are supposed to do!"

"I feel you," Rei agreed, her eyes fixed on the back of Ichiraku as she waited for her ramen. A hand was placed under her chin, and she carried a sour mood with her; the reason being none other than boredom. The young girl had been eager upon passing the exam some days back, as the thought of a radical change in the path of her life sounded too good to be true. And so it had seemed to be, for nothing but lack of excitement and daily boring routines had followed. "My last mission almost killed me out of boredom. We had to look after a baby, as if he would run away anytime soon. Like seriously, the thing couldn't even stand on his feet without smashing his cute little head on the ground."

Naruto snorted at the thought, amused, and his frustration seemed to fade away when Ichiraku placed a bowl of ramen before him. Quickly, he shoved some into his mouth.

"Ad lesd you fon'd haf do sdanf Daske," he gushed, which earned him a disgusted glance from the girl sitting next to him.

"I honestly haven't understood a single word you've said," Rei admitted while rolling her eyes at the sight of Naruto devouring his food.

The blond swallowed and repeated, "At least you don't have to stand Sasuke."

An amused smile formed on her lips as she nodded. "Yeah, that must suck." She shoved some noodles in her mouth, swallowed and then added, "But Tora-sensei is probably the most insane person you could ever find."

She visibly winced at the remembrance of the crazy woman and those creepy smirks of satisfaction she showed every time the brunette failed at something. Every day, Tora would drive them to force their limits to no end; which had led to Rei passing out most of the times. However, if there was something good about Tora's strict training it would be its effectiveness. Rei's resistance had improved extremely; something her sensei had noticed.

"Kakashi-sensei is always late, and he always blames it on being held up for helping out an old lady or something like that," Naruto huffed, annoyed.

"That's nice of him though," Rei commented, giving her friend a look.

The boy groaned. "But they're all lies!"

The sight of Naruto waving his arms in the air, frustration clearly in his blue eyes, was funny enough to make Rei laugh. Naruto immediately glared at her, which caused the girl to lift her arms in defense. But the sketch of an amused smile remained on her face.

"Koizumi!"

Both Genin turned towards the voice, only to see a boy their age running towards them. A frown touched Naruto's features as he watched the stranger approach.