Chapter Three: Team Five

❝If you don't like the hand that fate's dealt you with, fight for a new one.❞ ㅡ Naruto Uzumaki

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER THREE:

TEAM FIVE

FOUR YEARS LATER

                       "Team Five: Rei Koizumi, Maki Hashiri and Kazuo Nakahara."

Orange eyes averted from the window to glance around the classroom. Her gaze clashed with Maki's, and a huge grin broke upon the face of the cheerful girl. After responding with a small smile of her own, Rei resumed her searching. A frown decorated her features as confusion spread across her face.

Kazuo Nakahara, she repeated in her mind.

Her lips pursed, and she placed her chin on the palm of her hand. Rei didn't recall having a classmate called Kazuo Nakahara. Truth be told, Rei was not a regular presence in class, and some would say she was like a lost puppy who didn't really know where she belonged. Yet even so, the girl could recognize every face and name of her classmates with no trouble, for they weren't that many. Hence the wonderment that filled her when an unknown boy was placed in the same team as hers.

A frustrated scream snapped Rei away from her thoughts, and her attention was claimed by her blond friend. Naruto had buried his face into his arms, and it didn't take her long to figure out what had happened. By the sneaking glares he was giving Sasuke, who was surprisingly sitting beside him, Rei could tell they had been placed together in the same team.

The girl tried to hide her amused smile, forgetting about her previous task for a moment.

When the class was dismissed, Rei made her way towards the freedom outside. She didn't even bother to wait for Naruto, for she knew he'd be eager to — try to — spend lunch with Sakura Haruno, especially now that they were teammates.

Whatever, she thought.

Rei hated nobody, for 'hate' is a strong word, but she did detest Sakura with her whole heart. That superiority complex the pinkette carried, Rei could not stand — that, and the way she treated Naruto. In some way, Sakura reminded her to the bullies she had been protecting Naruto from ever since they had become friends.

"I can't believe we've been placed in the same team," a joyful voice startled her.

Blinking away her stupor, Rei glanced at Maki from the corner of her eye. Usually, it would be Rei who would sneak up on people; not because she liked giving them heart attacks, but because the art of stealth was something she had successfully mastered. This time, however, Rei had been so lost in thought she hadn't noticed Maki approaching.

"Every team consists of two boys and a girl, so it's quite odd," Maki blabbed.

A lopsided smirk tugged on the brunette's lips.

"This only proves that you should have been born as a boy."

She was punched on the head by an offended Maki.

"Anyway," Rei continued, rubbing the aching spot as she winced. "I don't even know who this Kazuo guy is."

Maki rolled her eyes, not surprised by her words. "He's just got transferred from some small village close to Suna."

A frown crossed her face.

So he comes from our same land as well, Rei thought and hummed; something that had become a habit whenever she found something interesting.